|Job Title:||Senior Control Algorithm Designer - Wind|
|Location:||South West England,|
|Salary:||£40000.00 - £50000.00 per annum|
|Contact Name:||Tom Wolsey|
|Job Published:||about 1 year ago|
The primary focus of this role is to design and develop control algorithms for modern commercial wind and marine current turbines. As a senior appointment, the successful candidate would take a key role in setting the technical direction of work within the department and driving engagement with other internal and external stakeholders. The role also encompasses involvement in developing R&D activities to maintain the Control Departments thought leadership position in the industry by delivering state-of-the-art control solutions.
Key aspects of the work include:
- Providing technical direction and driving research and development priorities.
- Disseminating knowledge and insight of control technology, both within the Control team, and within the department more widely.
- Summarising project needs, opportunities and values up the management chain at a level of detail appropriate to secure buy-in.
- Analysis of non-linear wind turbine dynamic structures.
- Creation of power production control loops for variable speed pitch regulated wind turbines.
- Iterating non-linear algorithm features and supervisory control policies in conjunction with non-linear time domain wind turbine simulation tools.
- Establishing verifiable trade-offs between structural loads and energy capture; understanding cost of energy is a key requirement.
- Working closely with Load Analysis engineers to generate formal wind turbine certification loads in accordance with prevailing standards.
- Providing correspondence and documentation sufficient to explain all aspects of the design work.
Control algorithm development uses predominantly a combination of in-house tools, Matlab and Microsoft C/C++ development tools.
The majority of control system contracts are with new or established wind turbine manufacturers sometimes requiring algorithm design only and sometimes algorithm design, software and commissioning support. The companies is also involved with control algorithm projects for novel wind and marine technologies, and UK & European Community research projects.
- Control algorithm design parameterisations and accompanying design reports.
- Presentation of results internally and externally.
- Regular client facing email and teleconference communication.
- Assessment of design methodologies and working practices for the long term benefit of the Control Section.
- Assessment of projects undertaken by colleagues.
- Active engagement with and shaping of the Control Section's R&D programme.
- Delivery of scientific papers and participation to conferences.
- In due course, delivery of control algorithm design training sessions and execution of control algorithm commissioning in the field.
Technical/ Professional Expertise and Qualifications Required:
- An ability to assimilate and understand complex mechanical and electrical system behaviour.
- Background in modelling and understanding of mechanical system dynamics.
- Experience of control of wind turbines is preferred.
- Experience from consultancy, industry or research background considered.
- Upper second or higher equivalent engineering, physics or similar numerate subject. Post graduate qualification preferred.
- Expert knowledge of classical control theory and transfer function analysis.
- Good knowledge of modern control theory and state space methods.
- Extremely competent with linear systems and frequency domain analysis.
- Expert Matlab user.
- Confidence with C and C++ languages and familiarity with XML and XSLT would be an advantage.
- A natural team worker motivated by the success of projects and achievements of the Control team as a whole.
- Adaptability, self-motivation and swift proficiency in acquiring new skills.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, with the ability to manage conflicting priorities.
- Ability to write and compose clear and accurate reports in English.
- Ability to work in a pressurised consultancy environment, operating to tight timescales.
- Well-developed critical/analytical and decision making ability.
- Ability to plan and deliver R&D activities.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written together with good presentation skills.
- Innovative and creative approach to work, great problem-solving skills.
- Proven business development experience and sound commercial acumen.
- Comfortable with international travel and foreign cultures.
- Comfortable working without supervision.