|Job Title:||Senior Drainage Engineer - Highways|
|Location:||UK - England - West Midlands, West Midlands - Birmingham|
|Contact Name:||Thomas Bullen|
|Job Published:||about 2 months ago|
Senior Drainage Engineer - Highways
Owing to recent contract awards, we are now looking to recruit a high calibre Senior Drainage Engineer to work in our UK-based highways design team on a wide portfolio of schemes throughout the UK and ensure we meet the demanding workload.
We are seeking to locate a career minded Senior Drainage Engineer who has gained proven work experience in the design of drainage solutions for highways and infrastructure projects. The role will combine project management, line management and hands-on drainage design.
The successful applicant would lead the delivery of projects to meet budget, time-frame and quality targets, meeting or exceeding client expectations. To be considered, we are seeking candidates with the following credentials:
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Team Leader you will be required to manage and deliver projects to meet budget, time-frame and quality targets, meeting or exceeding client expectations. You will be responsible for drainage engineers, technicians and apprentices on projects and assist with the development of the teams’ skills. We use overseas design offices as well as engineers located in offices throughout the UK to help deliver our projects. As a result the candidate would be expected to do some travelling to other UK offices and overseas design offices to meet the team and to maintain strong working relationships.
You will need to quickly develop a sound understanding of the wider client business and champion integration and collaboration. You will also be responsible for promoting and marketing all facets of my clients services during interfaces with clients and other sectors / disciplines, contribute towards the achievement of the divisional business plan and build networks within the industry.
Responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Drainage design and modelling using a variety of software and manual calculation methods.
- Performing and managing required activities associated with drainage design (major highways and infrastructure projects) in line with client specifications and design standards.
- Project duties will include preparation of design solutions at various stages of a project; preparation of drawings / BIM models, reports, specifications and estimates; document management; attendance at meetings and checking the work of other team members to ensure accuracy.
- Project management duties will include co-ordination of a wide range of discipline inputs; monitoring and protecting our client relationships; planning and programming; commercial management and presenting projects for audit.
- Maintaining on-going communication with relevant Team Leaders / Senior Managers and clients when required to ensure effective communications on matters relevant to the project.
- Contributing to the resolution of technical issues on projects and providing technical guidance to other team members, such as junior engineers, technicians and apprentices.
- Working in collaboration with other design disciplines to ensure the integrity of the overall design.
- Promoting and developing the technical capability of other team members.
- Gaining awareness of, and familiarity with, the commercial aspects of projects to develop commercial skills.
- Developing innovative and entrepreneurial thinking and behaviour.
- Building a profile in the industry and keeping up-to-date with innovations and developments.
- Being familiar with, and compliant with, relevant Health & Safety regulations and to promote a culture of awareness within the team.
- Civil Engineering degree
- Chartered status or very close to chartered status
- Essential Experience:
- Substantial drainage design experience gained with highways and major infrastructure schemes throughout the UK. Some experience of overseas projects would be an advantage.
- Strong knowledge of DMRB and Sewers for Adoption standards for drainage design
- Expertise in software design methods such as MicroDrainage, AutoCAD and Civils3D including integration with BIM models
- Technically competent in fundamental hydraulic design principles and ability to apply manual calculation methods where software methods are not available
- Understanding of flood modelling of overland flow and its application in highways projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Line management and performance management experience
- Demonstrated experience in a client facing position
- Ability to think in an innovative and entrepreneurial manner
- A strong team-working ethic is essential