Aquatic / Fresh Water Ecologist - Manchester
A new opportunity for an experienced freshwater ecologist has arisen Northwest and Yorkshire Region. The role is based in either Manchester or Leeds. As the successful candidate, you will gain experience of a range of modern, innovative survey methods and techniques, including aquatic habitat mapping and assessment using GIS-enable tablet technology to rapidly gather and send field data to servers.
The role will entail preparation, management and execution with limited supervision, the delivery of ecological services for internal and external clients within a wide range of projects sectors including energy, water, transport, residential and mixed-use schemes. You will also be expected to provide freshwater ecological support to the wider environmental management and EIA team on individual projects as well as the well-stablished Water team. Good team working, and communication skills will be essential, as the role will demand collaborative working with other ecologists and scientists to deliver a challenging programme of work.
As the successful applicant, you will support the wider ecology team in the Yorkshire and North West Region which forms part of the UK network of over 40 ecologists, working on several of the largest infrastructure schemes in the region which require an ecologist to help in the delivery of various field surveys and reporting tasks.
Skills/Experience required for the role
- Strong background in freshwater ecology field surveys - including habitat surveys, protected species surveys, and WFD compliant surveys or freshwater receptors.
- A detailed understanding of freshwater ecology and how freshwater receptors interact within an ecosystem, and how different pressures may disrupt this balance.
- A detailed understanding of the Water Framework Directive, its objectives, and the process of demonstrating Project compliance.
- Statistical analysis, data management and modelling of large and complex environmental data sets.
- Proven success of working in a team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work on multiple projects.
- Bachelor Degree in Ecology or a related subject.
- Should have membership of CIEEM and ideally experience of a consultancy environment
- A full UK driving licence is required for this position
This is a rare chance to join a well-established and highly regarded Consultancy. We look forward to receiving your application. For further information, then please contact Barrie Dempster at ALLEN & YORK LTD on 01202 888986 or email firstname.lastname@example.org