My client is a globally recognised sustainable engineering and design consultancy that specialises in complex infrastructure, process and built environments. We offer integrated solutions for clients across the energy, life sciences and manufacturing, nuclear, public, transport and utility services sectors. Part of a leading UK construction and regeneration group with revenue of over £2 billion.
They deliver fully assured engineering and design solutions for station modernisation, enhancement, heritage and listed refurbishment and new build projects together with infrastructure design within the Rail and transportation sector.
They now have a need to recruit a Architect to lead project teams based from their offices in central London.
Responsible for directing, coordinating, and exercising functional authority for planning, organisation, control, integration, and completion of assigned projects.
- Provide appropriate levels of Architectural design to a range of different buildings and elements.
- Work to own initiative and required to supervise team members including Technicians, Graduates and trainees. Supporting professional development accordingly.
- Liaise with other team members in a multi-disciplinary environment to achieve holistic building solutions to client brief in a lead capacity to small and medium sized projects
- You will interact with various internal and external contacts and take responsibility for the delivery of projects within time, quality and budget constraints.
Principal responsibilities and accountabilities
- Plan, schedule, conduct and coordinate the technical and management aspects on assigned projects
- Be fully conversant with the basics of British Standards and Eurocodes with respect to Architectural design, sustainability and specification.
- Review and approve technical design phases of projects. Ensure thorough checking and accuracy of deliverables and record documentation in accordance with company QA procedures
- Create designs and highly detailed drawings and design solutions both by hand and by using specialist computer-aided design (CAD) applications
- Liaise with the customer, project end-users and other construction professionals about the feasibility of a proposed project, including any constraining factors such as planning legislation, environmental impact and project budget
- Interact and negotiate with customer project representatives
- Maintain regular contact with all assigned project customers, including the best possible development of personal relationships
- Take responsibility for project and multi-disciplined design team management as lead architect. Excellent team ethic, and ability to work extended hours on occasions when required
- Attend in-house design courses and seminars and feedback to the rest of the department if required.
- Prepare and manage project controls such as; Enquiry plan, TRB review, fee estimate sheets/cost of further work, scope of work and change control preparation.
Qualifications and training
- Degree in Architecture leading to RIBA chartered membership
- London Underground LUCAS card
- Main line / Network Rail PTS card
- CSCS card
- Eligible to pass criteria for security clearance and airside pass applications
- Full UK Driving Licence
Technical skills and experience
- Proven track record in the delivery of architectural design, in particular on-site experience within the transportation/infrastructure sector
- Fully conversant with the procedures adopted within the rail industry including;
Presentation of designs to asset engineers for appropriate sign off
Design guidelines - red materials for specification purposes
Project processes and gateway review procedures
CAD standards and document issue process
- Excellent design and technical detailing ability and competent drafting skills in the following;
Good freehand sketching ability
AutoCAD / AutoCAD ADT or Revit
3D drawing production
Micro-station V8 preferred
NBS specification writer
MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- High levels of creativity, imagination, vision and enthusiasm to produce distinctive architectural solutions
- A good knowledge in the production of technical specifications and the ability to use NBS Building and Create.
- Good knowledge and understanding of traditional sustainable building materials.
- Knowledge of CDM regulations
- Knowledge of current UK technical standards/publications and legislation requirements
- High level of proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software i.e. word, excel, etc.
- Ability to work accurately and methodically, sometimes under pressure and strict deadlines, including the ability to juggle multiple tasks
- Good time management skills to ensure cost effective and accurate delivery of tasks under their remit
- Effectively manage own time across multiple tasks and prioritise effectively to meet deadlines.
- Good communication style and interpersonal skills, particularly the ability to negotiate both internally and externally to the team
- Ability to work well within a team of other professionals (Civil Structural engineers, service engineers etc) in delivering designs to satisfy the agreed brief
- Track record of providing a quality CAD service as part of a team
- Supervision and Technical mentoring of trainees and other junior CAD staff.