A chance to work for an international consultancy has arisen as a Senior Associate - Climate. You will specialise in consulting to top-level executives, advising on stakeholder, (geo) political, and ESG issues which have strategic implications. Advising some of the world's largest companies and engage with international stakeholders at the most senior levels. You will have two main goals: to provide authoritative, independent analysis on such issues; and to assist clients to manage them in a strategic, far-sighted and responsible way.
The core team brings together high-level experience working for The Economist, McKinsey, the OECD, Chatham House and a number of major energy and resource firms. The network of senior advisors spans over 75 countries and includes former senior executives in global companies, former ambassadors, government ministers, civil society leaders and other leading opinion formers. The Senior Advisory Panel includes a former editor of The Economist, the former Special Representative of the UN Secretary General for Sustainable Energy for All and the outgoing chairs of Shell and Rio Tinto, , among other eminent figures.
Core responsibilities would include:
- Helping lead client assignments for primarily energy and resource companies on their corporate-level strategies for climate change and other environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues. This will include overseeing and helping manage client projects in areas such as: developing climate strategies; climate scenario analysis; climate and ESG governance and risk management; climate target-setting; and leadership positioning and engagement.
- Supporting climate change business development, including helping develop existing relationships with senior executives on potential climate, ESG and sustainability assignments and maintaining our reputation as 'trusted advisors'.
- Further developing and strengthening the approach and methodologies related to climate change and ESG strategy development, climate scenario analysis and risk management.
- Cultivating an expert profile and thought leadership on climate change and sustainability and developing relationships with climate change and sustainability thought leaders.
- Staying abreast of key emerging trends and issues around climate and ESG.
- Managing and developing junior colleagues.
- At least five years of work experience relating to climate and sustainability issues, ideally with a focus on the energy or resources sector, either gained through in-house experience within an energy or resources company (at the group or operational level), or alternatively through experience in investor/financial institutions, academia, think tanks, civil society organisations, government, management consulting, law, development work, etc.
- A strong academic record
- Strong numerical skills are important (including being comfortable with interpreting datasets and calculations). Understanding of transition-related scenarios and experience with energy and economics modelling methodologies (supply, demand, cost and price fundamentals) are desirable.
- Although they are not looking for someone with a climate science background, you will need a strong understanding of climate change-related issues (including a general understanding of the main technological and operational issues), as well as global business trends, political/international dynamics, and the resources sector
- Proven ability to manage small teams and projects successfully, under tight deadlines and within budgets
- Proven ability to build strong client and stakeholder relationships
- Excellent writing ability in English and strong communication skills
- Additional language skills are an advantage
- Good IT skills, including familiarity with MS Office. Good Excel capabilities - advanced functionality and the ability to build complex tools, with the willingness and ability to further upskill.
- A highly diligent and thorough work ethic
- Strong analytical and research skills, ability to quickly grasp and dissect complex issues
- Entrepreneurial and energetic with an appetite for business development
- Personable character and a good team player
- High ethical integrity and commitment to confidentiality
- Professional approach, reliability and ability to meet tight deadlines
This is an exciting opportunity for anyone who wants to further strengthen their experience and reputation in the climate and sustainability fields, in an environment which values excellence and entrepreneurship, and which is highly supportive of employees' professional development. For further information, then please contact Barrie Dempster at ALLEN & YORK LTD on 01202 888986 ext 280 or email firstname.lastname@example.org