Opportunity for a suitably experienced (3+ years) Geotechnical or Geo-Environmental specialist to join the growing multi-disciplinary environmental consultancy. Based in the Manchester or Leeds offices, the role will involve delivering geo-environmental solutions and advisory services on projects within the property, industrial and construction sectors across the UK and potentially Europe.
- An effective track record of managing the practical technical and financial aspects relating to developing proposals for the completion of projects and delivering projects.
- Suitable experience of site supervision of investigation works to either complete or direct others in the completion of.
- To demonstrate the ability to design conceptual models to understand geological/environmental conditions in advance of ground investigation, including the assessment of risks from mine workings, risks from potential contamination sources, review of viable foundation solutions and constraints to development.
- To demonstrate the ability to prepare logs compliant to BS5930 and the associated use of Holebase (or similar) soil logging software.
- To demonstrate a working knowledge of the requirements and guidance provided by appropriate British Standards (for Earthworks, Site Investigation, Foundations, Reinforced Earth and Retaining Structures), appropriate Highways Agency Documents (for Earthworks and other geotechnical structures) and specialist guidance prepared by BRE Reports (e.g. sulphates, ground improvement, construction on fill), CIRIA Reports (e.g. Engineering properties of specific soil/rock types, pile design, dewatering).
- To demonstrate a working knowledge of risk assessment software packages (such as P20 or Consim) to determine risks to controlled water and human health receptors and to provide remediation targets, if necessary.
- To demonstrate a working knowledge in the interpretation of geological maps published data and site walkover information in assessing geotechnical risks (e.g. slope stability, soft ground, mining) and environmental risks (e.g. whether pollutant linkages exist) for Phase I and Phase II investigations.
- To demonstrate a working knowledge in the technical management of investigations (e.g. recognising when ground conditions are at variance from those anticipated and require the investigation to be varied and appropriate interfacing with other disciplines and/or Client).
- Sound communication and personal effectiveness skills.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships at all levels within the business, with clients, subcontractors and other third parties (regulators, statutory consultees, etc.).
- Work as a consultant or senior consultant within a Team/Business Unit. Responsible for management, financial and technical input to projects, including provision of proposals, project planning, management of resources (office or site based) and sub-contractors, completion of appropriate scheduling of laboratory testing, site monitoring, data assessment, reporting and financial performance.
- Engagement in direct account management and development as part of an Account Management Team.
- To effectively communicate within a delivery team to achieve a project brief through provision of efficient and professional services.
- To provide support and assistance to all staff as appropriate.
- Lead by example and share both knowledge and experience with other team members.
- To provide coaching and mentoring of junior staff to bring about improvements in their skill base.
- Undertake proposal preparation with the support of an appropriate person at a Principal or Director grade.
- Bachelor degree in relevant subject and preferably a secondary qualification i.e. MSc.
- Demonstration of equivalent qualification Qualifications:or experience.
- Desirable to be a Member of Professional Body preferably working towards Chartered status.