Health & Safety Manager.
Purpose of the Role
- To promote, develop and establish a positive safety culture within the business so that it can meet its legal requirements with regards to Health, Safety, Environmental and Compliance.
- To take responsibility for both Strategic and Operational matters relating to Health and Safety Planning and Management.
- To provide competent support to all staff.
- The post holder will report to the CEO and will be the primary point of contact within for all Health, Safety, Environmental and Compliance matters.
- Provide professional advice and support on relevant related SHEQ (Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality) matters, ensuring compliance with the Construction and Design Management Regulations (CDM) 2015.
- Attend project pre-start and progress meetings.
- Review contractor health and safety documentation to ensure that they are suitable and sufficient.
- Provide support, guidance and advice to staff on CDM issues.
- Investigate and report on findings connected to accidents, incidents and breaches of Health & Safety and Environmental legislation.
- Develop actions and lessons learnt and, where required, be involved in implementing them proactively.
- To undertake construction / maintenance site inspections and produce reports with recommendations. Monitor feedback from construction company representatives, Project Managers and Clients and report findings to the Directors.
- Maintain ISO 9001 Quality Management System, ISO 14001 Environmental Management System and ISO 45001 Health and Safety Management System.
- Carry out Contractor and Staff inductions and assist in the completion of on-site contractor monitoring reports.
- Provide asbestos and compliance advice, support training throughout the Facilities Division, working closely with the Project and Maintenance teams.
- Ensure that all accidents and near misses are investigated in accordance with Company procedures.
- Liaise with external bodies such as local authorities and specialist groups on health and safety issues.
- Instigate a programme of internal monitoring and auditing of all Health, Safety and Compliance obligations, providing associated compliance reports and formally advise managers on areas of non-compliance.
- To undertake any necessary training and development of employees on mandatory and work/task specific Health and Safety training.
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of relevant health and safety legislation and best practice. Provide updates monthly on all new or amended Health and Safety legislation associated with business related issues to all staff as appropriate.
- Lead in creating and maintaining a climate in which employees feel safety has high value, and that they are clear about their responsibilities.
- Establish, develop and maintain records of site induction of contractors, consultants etc.
- Liaise with Human Resources and maintain records of any health-related issues.
- Carry out Technical Design reviews for all major construction and engineering projects.
- Ensure procedures are in place for premises associated with the companies legal and other obligations, including fire safety, building, structures, building accessibility, mechanical and electrical building engineering services.
- Ensure company offices are compliant and ensure inspection/audit are undertaken of these location
Qualification / Memberships / Experience
- CMIOSH or GradIOSH - mandatory
- NVQ level 5 or higher in Health and Safety or Nebosh Diploma or MSC in Health and Safety - mandatory
- HV and or safe electrical procedures (electrical safety rules) - advantageous
- Working at Heights and Lifting experience - advantageous
- Solar PV / Battery experience - advantageous
- Internal Auditor training - advantageous