Our client are a vertically integrated international group of companies which designs, manufactures and constructs the full range of solar photovoltaic solutions (rooftop, ground mounted, PV car parks and PV greenhouses). In their field, as Operations and Maintenance specialist for utility scale ground mounted solar farms, they currently count with 3GW of sites under operation worldwide.
Due to expansion they are looking for a field based Engineer to be responsible for maintaining the operation and production of solar farms in the UK.
You'll be responsible for carrying out operations and maintenance activities on a set of large ground mount solar PV farms. You will be providing technical support to the Portfolio Manager in the office to troubleshoot and resolve incidences on site. You will also be encouraged to find ways to maximise the site performance.
As an O&M Technician, you will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Ensuring adherence to all health & safety procedures at all times
- Carrying out operations, fault finding, checks and maintenance on ground mount solar PV plants which will include working on inverters, electrical components, cabling, junction boxes and the framework
- Responsible for routine maintenance in the solar farms according to the contractual requirements
- Managing relationships with subcontractors working on the sites
- HV transformers and switchgear periodic maintenance
- Periodic inspection and testing of electrical circuits
- Solar modules and combiner boxes thermography
- Voc, Isc, Riso tests for DC circuit
- Inverter basic fault diagnostics and repairs(experience with SMA inverters would be desirable)
- Ensure all electrical work undertaken is safe and that it complies with current regulations
- Sign off all electrical work
- Any other reasonable tasks as requested by management
- Providing reports on tasks undertaken in a diligent manner
- Assist with collating necessary information for ad-hoc reporting (such as insurance or warranty cases)
- Weekend on-call rota
- Outdoor nature of work makes it physically demanding
To be considered for this position, you must hold relevant electrical engineering qualifications
- City & Guilds / NVQ / 17th/18th Edition etc
- City and Guilds 2391 Inspection and Testing or equivalent is a must
- Proven experience in a similar O&M Technician or Solar PV Electrician role is a must
- Inverter manufacturer training (at least SMA desirable)
- Sound understanding of Health and Safety legislation
- JIB Gold Card is highly desirable
- Affiliation with NICEIC or other body desirable
- Previous experience in high voltage installations (HV) would be very advantageous.
- HVAP15 (or equivalent HV training) preferred
- Able to work both within a team or remote unsupervised
- Good IT skills and report writing
- You will need to hold a full, clean and valid driving licence
- High standards of workmanship and professionalism
- Team player, effective communicator
- The ability to achieve tight deadlines
- Cordial and professional with excellent client facing skills
- Due to the nature of work, it is physically demanding and, eventually, requires being available at social hours (such as bank holidays or weekends)
They are offering a competitive salary depending on experience, plus benefits including performance payments, company vehicle, fuel card, tools, 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays, paid sick leave, pension plan, health plan, weekend on call and call-out compensation.