Position Title Principal Bridge Engineer
Job Category Engineering - Transportation - Bridges
Business Line Transportation / Rail
Allen and York are currently recruiting for a Principal Bridge Engineer with experience of bridge design, inspection, assessment, and refurbishment schemes, to join our clients busy and expanding Edinburgh Bridges team.
Our Clients Edinburgh office has an established track record of successfully delivering bridge engineering schemes for over 50 years, mainly in Scotland but also throughout the UK and overseas. The team provides assessment, concept, feasibility, preliminary and detailed designs on a wide range of schemes, either as standalone bridge commissions or as part of multidisciplinary major projects.
Our clients' current projects include a major UK 5-year rail network infrastructure framework assessment contract. In addition to the significant long-term commissions on bridge assessment and inspection, principally in the rail environment, our initial assessment often leads to the requirement for the design of the refurbishment, strengthening or bridge replacement.
As a Principal Bridge Engineer, you will have the following daily responsibilities:
- Undertake and project manage rail and/or road bridge and associated structures engineering schemes from inspection and assessment, feasibility through to detailed design.
- Take responsibility for the contribution of Engineers and Technicians as appropriate.
- Take responsibility for production through to client sign off for Technical Approval documentation.
- Hands-on technical design of road and/or rail structures.
- Hands-on assessment of road and/or rail structures.
- Structural inspections and reporting.
- Client liaison.
- Production of tenders including quality documentation and costings.
- Project Management including programme and resource monitoring, quality control, technical management and delivery.
- Mentoring graduate engineers in their progress to Chartership.
Minimum Requirements, your experience should include a combination of the following skills and knowledge:
- Significant experience with bridge and related structural inspection, assessment and design schemes.
- Proven design and project management experience delivering high quality, to time and budget.
- Experience in road and/or rail projects.
- Experience in working as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- High level technical skills in inspection, assessment and design and be able to lead teams of senior engineers, engineers, graduates and technicians in such projects.
- Experience of Eurocodes, British Standards and assessment codes.
- Working knowledge of structural analysis software - Lusas or SBD preferred.
- Previous exposure with clients, including both national and local authorities and major contractors.
- Excellent technical and communication skills both verbal and written.
- Ability to manage staff
- Project Health and Safety responsibilities including compliance with CDM legislation.
- Current clean driving license and willing to travel throughout the UK to visit sites.
- Degree educated or equivalent in a relevant subject such as Bridge, Civil or Structural Engineering.
- Ideally educated to MSc level or equivalent.
- Chartered Engineer with ICE or IStructE.