Our client is an award winning engineering and design consultancy and they have exciting opportunities for a Principal Civil Engineer to work in their Transport & Infrastructure Group. The role will be working with the Civil Engineering Design Development team in their Leeds office.
The team delivers a wide variety of consultancy services to a large client base, both local and national. The Transport & Infrastructure Design Service are responsible for providing a number of engineering services across multiple sectors, at all stages of our client's project, from inception through to commissioning.
Working on challenging and multiple projects simultaneously, you will have significant experience undertaking preliminary and detailed design of roads, levels, drainage and external works in both the public (adoptable) and private realm.
About the team
They work on multidisciplinary projects across the transport, residential, commercial, industrial, education, health and retail sectors. Their clients range from local and national developers and contractors to public sector bodies. They aim to create a working environment that provides challenge, enjoyment and a real sense of satisfaction with a view to encouraging personal and professional development in all staff.
The Transport and Infrastructure Group combines this requisite expertise with innovative thinking. They also do it in a manner that enables them to focus on the delivery of high quality, value engineered infrastructure capable of serving our nation's current and future needs.
Their talented and experienced design teams fuse local knowledge with national design standards and legislation in a manner that enables BWB to undertake a wide variety of projects.
You will have a keen interest in developing your understanding and ability in civil engineering design and a willingness to research and take on new challenges. You will be able to work independently and use your engineering judgement to tackle day to day problems. You will have experience working with and developing junior members of the team in a mentoring and design management role.
You will have strong experience of the multi-disciplinary nature of complex projects from planning stage, through to completion. You will have good project coordination skills and a sound understanding of other discipline roles on projects.
You will have significant experience of the requirements of working with different types of client in a complex industry - our clients include developers, local authorities and contractors, all of whom have different expectations and requirements from you and the projects you will work on.
You will be expected to have the following personal attributes and skills:
- Technical independence within the field of Civil Engineering design, covering most aspects of preliminary and detailed design of highways, levels, drainage and external works.
- Fully conversant with our industry standard design software packages AutoCad, Civil 3D (although extensive experience in the use of PDS would be considered as long as there is a willingness to train on Civil 3D) and MicroDrainage.
- The use of the Microsoft Office Suite of software, including Excel.
- Experience liaising with both internal and external bodies, including planning authorities, statutory undertakers and national bodies such as the Environment Agency.
- Experience liaising with other consultants such as architects, planners, project managers and directly with Clients.
- Good commercial awareness with effective influencing and negotiating skills, as well as an aptitude to develop emerging and new client relationships.
- Experience of providing an outward facing capacity as a design team representative in dealings with clients on technical matters.
- A visible and participative technical lead, willing and able to take responsibility for the technical solutions for projects.
- An ability to effectively delegate design responsibility to others and act in a mentoring role to less experienced staff.
- Excellent communicator, both written and oral, with the ability to adapt communication style to suit different circumstances
- Track record of building and maintaining strong relationships at all levels both internally and externally.
- A 'self-starter' with drive, positivity and enthusiasm and a strong desire to succeed.
Reasons to join Our Client
They invest in their people and give them fantastic career opportunities. Look at what they have been recognised for recently:
- Investors in People Platinum standard
- A Sunday Times Top 100 Best companies to work for
- An NCE Top 100 Consultancy