Principal Ecologist - Riparian specialist - Birmingham
Due to continued growth, my client is seeking an experienced professional ecologist with a specialism in riparian animals to join their dynamic and forward-thinking ecology team based in the heart of Birmingham's vibrant city centre. This is a fantastic opportunity to further your career within an established and successful business that has welfare and wellbeing as core values. You will work across the UK and covering all terrestrial, freshwater and marine habitats.
Role Responsibilities may include:
- Working as part of the existing network of ecologists within the UK and Ireland;
- Assisting in the winning, delivery and management (technical and financial) of ecological projects;
- Writing and providing technical review of ecological reports and other deliverables;
- Liaising with clients, project managers and other project stakeholders including statutory bodies;
- Managing and mentoring staff as part of our mentoring / line management network;
- Represent my client externally through projects, client management, publications and presentations;
- Undertaking other tasks which add value to the technical expertise and development of the ecology team, or support wider environmental business goals.
- Excellent knowledge of UK and EC wildlife legislation and policy, as well as Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA);
- Holder of relevant protected species survey licences, and preferably also mitigation licences;
- Experience of Phase 1 Habitat and protected species surveys and licensing;
- Technical and professional proficiency with a demonstrable history of delivering ecology projects to a high standard, on time and within budgets;
- Experience of ecological impact assessment, design and/or construction management, ideally on major infrastructure projects in the UK;
- Strong project management skills and experience (including technical, financial and quality aspects);
- Full Member of CIEEM (or eligible to meet relevant criteria), or other relevant professional body;
- Proactive and careful approach to Health and Safety, including first aid training certificate;
- Professional, organised and thorough approach to work which demonstrates an attention to detail;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, in particular, the ability to write concise technical reports;
- Proven ability to work closely and collaboratively with colleagues and clients, as well as to manage own time;
- Experience in line management as well as technical leadership of teams of ecologists on major projects;
- Electronic data capture, analysis and presentation;
- Willing to travel to offices and sites within the UK and potentially internationally when required by work demand;
- Adaptable and flexible approach to work to meet peaks in demands (as all roles are likely to involve occasional longer/and or unsociable hours and a degree of working away from home for days/ weeks at a time);
- A track record in, or aspirations for, continuing professional development and supporting the development / management of junior ecologists.
- You will have a BSc in a relevant subject;
- A higher degree (MSc / PhD) would be an advantage;
- You will show evidence of ongoing vocational training;
- You will be eligible for or have full membership of CIEEM or another relevant professional body - chartership (CEnv or CEcol) would be an advantage;
- Licensed to drive a vehicle in the UK;
- Formal project management qualifications.
If you are interested or would like more information about the role, then please contact Barrie Dempster on email@example.com or on 01202 888 986.