Senior Building Surveyor
Provide an effective building surveying service to the Practice's clients. Ensure all duties assigned are completed as directed within the set timescales, and in accordance with the procedures contained within the company Practice Management System. To assist the team and take some responsibility for both typical building surveying projects as well as more detailed design commissions. Professional survey, party wall and expert witness commissions could also be part of the positions brief if experienced in this field.
- To accept instructions from clients to provide services for their needs.
- To prepare specifications and contract documents to enable projects to be tendered.
- To prepare any necessary building regulation or planning applications and monitor and deal with as necessary through discussions with the necessary authorities.
- To assess tenders and make recommendations to client.
- To act as Project Manager on projects by attending site for Pre-Start and Project Meetings. To understand and clearly define clients' expectations to provide advice, keep them informed of progress on projects and make them aware of technical and financial implications.
- Supervise works on site and act as a CDM Co-Ordinator as required, ensuring that acceptable quality standards of workmanship and performance are achieved and authorise payments to contractors accordingly.
- Ensure expenditure is controlled and that schemes are completed within budget and on time.
- To agree final accounts with Contractors.
- To work within Practice policies and in particular in accordance with the Practice QA standards.
- To assist in the appointment and supervision of specialist contractors when necessary.
- To ensure professional competence through continual professional development.
- To ensure that time spent on projects is recorded and that fee invoicing is carried out at appropriate stages.
- Carry out inspections of properties to produce condition surveys.
- To act as a surveyor under the terms of the Party Wall Act etc. 1996. as required.
- To endeavour to promote the Practice to obtain new projects and new clients.
- Chartered membership of the RICS.
- Engages in career development and Continuous Professional Development.
- Willingness to pursue further professional management development through participation in training courses.
- Comprehensive knowledge of building construction, Building Regulations and allied legislation
- Experience of projects with a contract value range of £10k -£5m
- Undertake surveys, Party Wall and Professional Expert Witness Advice
- Experience of projects in the Education, Healthcare, and Local Authority sectors.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal). Organised and imaginative approach to work.
- Effective problem-solver and decision making.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, prioritise work and to collate and present information clearly and concisely to a variety of audiences
- Effective team player. Good track record of meeting deadlines. Able to work on own initiative. Pro-active, mature outlook, tactful and focused, clear thinking, flexible, logical, reliable, good team player
- Good analytical skills Ability to look critically at existing practices and to understand and interpret complex legislation and guidance.
- Full driving licence and access to a vehicle.