Due to continued growth a new position has arisen for a Senior Chemicals Policy Consultant. Working in partnership with governmental and private sector organisations on the development, implementation and evaluation of environmental policies, strategies and plans. You will predominately support public sector clients such as national Governments, the European Commission and international bodies (e.g. the World Bank), as well as working for private sector clients. Deliver high-profile studies in areas that include industrial pollution control, water policy, air quality, chemicals policy, climate mitigation and adaptation and the circular economy. In the field of chemicals policy, the Environmental Policy team is linked with the staff running the National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC).
The role will primarily involve working on chemicals policy studies but not exclusively: there is the potential to support other policy areas too, such as industrial emissions, waste and circular economy, sustainable transport, climate change and energy.
- Working in international, multi-disciplinary teams, your primary role will be assisting the leadership of the expansion of our chemicals policy work area.
This will involve responsibility for:
- Designing, managing and undertaking studies involving policy development, implementation and assessment across a wide range of policy and topic areas, with emphasis on chemicals policy
- Exploring opportunities with new and existing customers
- Establishing and expanding relationships with partners
- Leading complex policy proposals, including as responses to invitations to tender
- Providing written content and technical analysis for the preparation of reports, as well as contributing to the development of proposals for new work
- Presenting work at client meetings and conferences
- Helping the development of more junior staff.
Required competencies and experience:
- Qualified to Bachelor's degree level in chemistry, environmental science, policy, engineering, law, economics, or a closely related subject
- Relevant experience within consultancy, government, research or industry, including at least some experience in consultancy
- Knowledge and experience working on chemicals policy and strategies in the EU and/or the UK. Understanding of the EU chemicals legislative framework, primarily REACH and CLP.
- Experience with the process of policy development and implementation, evaluation of technical and policy measures, cost-benefit analysis, data collection, validation and analysis
- Experience in managing projects for international organisations and/or European Commission and/or national governments
- The ability to interact with policy makers at national and/or international level
- Excellent report writing skills (concise and precise English)
- Track record in writing winning proposals
- Excellent desk-based analytical research skills
Desirable competencies and experience:
- Qualified to Master's degree level in chemistry, environmental science, policy, engineering, law, economics, or a closely related subject
- Experience in BPR, PPPR, Waste legislation and OSH legislation
- Knowledge of the impacts of human and environmental exposure to chemicals
- Knowledge/experience of methods for assessing social, environmental and economic impacts of policies and measures
- Experience in analysis of alternatives and socio-economic assessment, particularly in relation to assessments under REACH.
- Knowledge and experience working on environmental legislation and strategies in the EU and the UK relating to areas other than chemicals policy
- Fluency in other European languages
Skills and behaviours
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Leadership and team-working skills
- Effective problem solving and creative thinking skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, combined with strong influencing skills
- Flexibility, resilience and enthusiasm
We look forward to receiving your application. For further information, then please contact Barrie Dempster at ALLEN & YORK LTD on 01202 888986 or email email@example.com