Senior Environmental Modeller
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Environmental Modeller has arisen. You will be joining one of the world's most innovative and independent scientific and engineering consultancies.Currently As a Senior Environmental Modeller you will work on a variety of projects to deliver innovative modelling solutions for water companies and regulatory clients..
A Senior Environmental Modeller to work primarily within the Catchment Management business. This part of the business provides water quality modelling solutions to ensure any discharges are compliant with environmental regulations; to identify integrated pollution management solutions and to support the development and implementation of catchment management plans. We are looking for someone with a keen interest in, and flair for, practical modelling that helps to understand the pressures and impacts on the water quality of river catchment systems and coastal waters.
You will ideally have a first degree in Environmental Science, Geography or Civil Engineering. With sound water quality modelling experience, you will have knowledge and appreciation of the physical, chemical and bacteriological processes in urban, rural and coastal catchments and their receiving waters and be able to develop relevant and practicable conceptual models of these processes for complete catchment systems. You will be aware of the water quality drivers arising from EU and UK legislation and how these may influence catchment models. At a practical level you will have proven experience of building and using a range of simulation models to assess contaminant inputs and their impacts on receiving waters. This role will include the use of SIMCAT/SAGIS and other environmental modelling packages primarily for inland waters.
As the Senior Environmental Modeller you will work with the Environmental Modelling team leader and the Head of Catchment Management to create and deliver innovative modelling solutions for water companies and regulatory clients.
You will be involved in the development and application of unique integrated catchment model, SIMPOL ICM, working with clients to understand their issues and then developing solutions to address their needs. Day to day activities will include consulting with clients developing modelling solutions, inputting into proposals, building, calibrating and running models and supervising more junior members of the team in these tasks.
- Excellent communication skills;
- A high level of accuracy and good attention to detail;
- Numeracy skills including basic statistics;
- Competency in the use of Access/Excel, with experience of ArcGIS;
- An understanding of rainfall runoff processes; and,
- An understanding of river chemistry and hydraulics and catchment hydrology.
- Experience of developing more junior staff would be desirable as is the ability to communicate technical work to non-technical people. A willingness to travel in the UK and overseas and possession of a clean driving licence would be an advantage
In return for your commitment, there is on offer a wide range of benefits including:
- Full on-the-job training
- Flexible working hours based on a 37-hour week, Monday to Friday
- A contributory pension scheme
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
- Free accident/life insurance
- Cash Health Plan
- Active Sports and Social Club
- Subsidised on-site staff restaurant
- Free Parking
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- On-site gardening club & allotments
We look forward to receiving your application.
For more information please call Barrie Dempster on 01202 888986 Ext 280