About the role - Location Leeds or Manchester
Our client has an exciting opportunity for a Principal Engineer at Associate status to work in the Design Infrastructure team. The role will be based in the Leeds office.
The Infrastructure Design team specialises in the design of publicly funded multi-disciplinary projects across the UK, from large highway improvement projects to small local schemes.
BWB are proud to have become a Highways England Regional Delivery Partner and you will be working with Highways England as well as numerous other key clients and will be a key member of a growing team
Working on challenging projects, you will be proficient in undertaking several aspects of preliminary and detailed design of public highways including geometry, drainage, pavements and other elements of highway schemes.
You will have a keen interest in developing your understanding and ability in civil engineering design and a willingness to research and take on new challenges. You will be able to work independently and use your engineering judgement to tackle day to day problems, delegate tasks and show a desire to develop junior members of the team.
You will have experience of the multi-disciplinary nature of complex projects from planning stage, through to completion. You will show a desire to develop your project coordination skills and a willingness to understand more about other disciplines roles on projects.
You will have experience of the requirements of working with different types of client in a complex industry - our clients include developers, local authorities and contractors, all of whom have different expectations and requirements from you and the projects you will work on.
You will be expected to have the following personal attributes and skills:
- Technical independence with our industry standard design software packages Civil 3D (although extensive experience in the use of OpenRoads or PDS would be considered as long as there is a willingness to train on Civil 3D) and Microdrainage
- The use of the Microsoft Office Suite of software, including Excel.
- Experience liaising with both internal and external bodies.
- Experience liaising with other consultants, project managers and directly with Clients.
- Good commercial awareness with effective influencing and negotiating skills, as well as an aptitude to develop emerging and new client relationships.
- Experience of providing an outward facing capacity as a design team representative in dealings with clients on technical matters.
- A visible and participative technical lead, willing and able to take responsibility for the technical solutions for projects.
- An ability to effectively delegate design responsibility to others and act in a mentoring role to less experienced staff.
- Excellent communicator, both written and oral, with the ability to adapt communication style to suit different circumstances
- Track record of building and maintaining strong relationships at all levels both internally and externally.
- A 'self-starter' with drive, positivity and enthusiasm and a strong desire to succeed.
What they can offer you
- A competitive Salary
- Life Assurance 4x salary.
- Non-contributory Pension Scheme
- Superb training
- Professional Subscription
- Social Fund
- Health-care cash plan for all your everyday medical needs such as dentistry and optical care.
- Loyalty bonus - bonus, additional holidays, pension enhancement and sabbaticals.
- Perkbox rewards scheme
- Cycle to Work - Get excellent rates for a new bike and accessories through our scheme.
- 1 paid day of volunteering for a company-nominated charity
- 2.5 paid days for STEM activity