Senior/Principal Tunnelling Engineer - Birmingham or Croydon
Our client has offices in Birmingham and Croydon, they have a dedicated tunnelling team working on some of the most challenging tunnelling projects across both the UK and abroad.
They are actively looking to expand their core tunnelling business with the appointment of a Senior/Principal Engineer within a civil/structural bias within the tunnelling team.
You will be a key member of the team and provide design and design management while interfacing with other key project disciplines including: geotechnical, transportation, environmental, mechanical & electrical engineering disciplines.
You will be required to guide packages of work in your control and deliver designs, reports and specifications for underground works.
You will, with support from the wider team, be required to mentor and guide other early career members of the team.
This is a challenging role involving the technical delivery of complex tunnelling projects. The role will require a range of skills including technical excellence, excellent aural and written communication, innovative approaches to problem solving, plus successful delivery against time and budget.
- Senior technical resource may serve as technical advisor for team
- Provides specialized technical input to studies and design for staff's specific area of expertise.
- Develops study and design procedures to facilitate high quality cost effective work by others.
- Participates in interdisciplinary review of project deliverables.
- Develops construction cost estimates and estimates of technical efforts for projects.
- Uses expertise in all steps of completing discipline component of PS&E package.
- Performs quality control review of design calculations or drawings.
- Prepares technical specification sections.
- Provides input to the development of engineering budget and schedule to meet requirements.
- A degree in Civil or Civil & Structural Engineering
- Experienced in the design of concrete and steel to industry standards, such as Eurocodes.
- Ideally be able to demonstrate experience in one or more of the following sectors: Water transfer tunnels; Highway tunnels; High Speed, Standard & light rail; Mining; Airport infrastructure; Onshore & offshore tunnels; Power tunnels.
- Experience in the methods and techniques used in the design of tunnel linings including: segmental, jacked, cast insitu, sprayed concrete, masonry/blockwork, rock bolted/anchored and unlined.
- Experience in the methods and techniques used in the design of shafts including: segmental, secant piled, diaphragm wall and sprayed concrete.
- Demonstrable experience of soil structure interaction and geotechnical experience.
- Competent in industry standard 3D Finite Element Software and/or experience in modelling soil structure interaction using industry standard software
- An MSc/MEng in Soil Mechanics/Geotechnical/Tunnelling Engineering would be an advantage
- Professional membership (MICE or similar) - or working towards achieving it.
- Five plus years post graduation experience in an office or construction environment.
- Additional experience in UD