We are currently recruiting for an SHE Manager for a rail electrification business based in the Midlands. The purpose of the role is to provide leadership, specialist advice and SHE governance across the business unit, Rail Electrification projects and service.
This role is reporting into the SHEQ Operations Manager, the SHE Manager will lead a team of SHE Advisors to ensure effective operational control and implementation of SHE-related processes and programmes. You will also contribute to setting of local SHE-related targets and provide support to managers in meeting those targets. An important role will be to promote the SHE profile internally amongst staff, the wider business and with external stakeholders.
Your Primary responsibilities will include:
- Working in partnership with Operational Management and Specialist Managers within the SHEQ team, provide support in the development of a positive SHE culture and place SHE as an integral part of the business values and behaviours at all levels.
- Provide specialist guidance and advice on adherence to SHE policies, legislation, industry standards and Corporate Governance Standards for projects and service, seeking advice from specialist Managers within the SHEQ function as necessary.
- Support Project Management in the planning, implementation and review of SHE contract requirements. Allocating SHE Advisor support to projects and seeking support from environmental specialists as necessary.
- Prepare regular reports on operational SHE performance and ensure appropriately communicated to instigate action for improvement across projects.
- Prepare and submit compliance reports, governance reports / self-assessments and SESIS reporting as required.
- Advise on health and safety competency and training requirements of Functional Teams; prepare and deliver internal presentations, including Team briefs, health and safety awareness or other training as required.
- Investigate accidents and incidents, ensuring compliance to reporting requirement for internal / external stakeholders and preparation / delivery of learning points to prevent a recurrence.
- Support the Quality & Assurance Manager in the planning and delivery of audits of projects and the management system, assessing compliance to ISO, Principal Contractor and other client requirements.
- Support the Head of SHEQ to develop SHE strategies in support of the Business Plan and deployment of the business SHE Programmes across projects.
- Provide support in structuring personal development plans and continued professional development for SHE Advisors to help develop their technical and competence.
- Provide specialist support to the Tendering teams in response to prequalification, tenders and proposals.
- Support the business in developing relationships with external stakeholders and customers, which provides a stable foundation for future business opportunities and ensures customer needs are met in a timely manner.
- Represent the company at forums, conferences, project or other business meetings either as a participant or presenter.
- Display Ownership behaviour and operate to the highest professional conduct standards and ethics, managing risk and protecting the business brand.
The Ideal candidate will possess:
- Diploma / Degree level qualification in Occupational Safety & Health
- IEMA Certificate preferred
- Lead Auditor qualification
- Chartered member of the Institution of Occupational Safety & Health (IOSH) or progressing
- Previous professional experience in a Railway / Engineering / Construction environment, with management experience
- Ability to prepare written documentation such as reports, strategies, operational procedures, etc.
- In-depth understanding of CDM and its application in a railway environment
- Experience and working knowledge of implementing ISO Certified Management Systems
- Excellent understanding of EHS processes, standards and improvement techniques.
- Positive leadership, Coaching and Influencing skills at all levels.
- Excellent communication skills with external stakeholders.
- Continuous improvement knowledge / experience. Inc tools and techniques.
The benefits package for this role includes not only a generous base salary, but an annual bonus. Flexible benefits scheme, where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.