Our client is a leading engineering consultancy, working on some of the most interesting and cutting edge projects globally.
They currently have a vacancy for an experienced Software Manager (G3) in their Birmingham office. The Digital Solutions Team is expanding as a result of exciting new projects and require a talented individual with experience of managing technical teams and delivering software solutions.
The successful candidate will have significant relevant experience and will have proven technical, project and managerial skills supported by a history of delivering solutions to quality, time and budget. They will have experience of managing and mentoring software teams as well as making architectural decisions and reviewing solutions delivered using a variety of technologies.
We are looking to enhance their Digital Solutions Team with individuals with a sound technical background that share our enthusiasm and determination to support our expanding workload. The team provides full design, implementation and maintenance services to a wide range of internal and external clients.
Reporting to the Software Sector Leader the right candidate will be responsible for managing the software team (4 - 6 individuals) as they develop, maintain and support software applications for external clients. The candidate will be expected to apply their technical knowledge to the projects and assist in the delivery through clear design, planning, monitoring and advice. There is some potential for hands on development work but this is not the emphasis of the role. The team maintains operational software through a helpdesk and managing the associated backlog is a key responsibility.
The appropriate level of technical expertise is required in order that the Job/ Project Accountabilities listed below can be carried out to the necessary standards:
- Recognised as expert level in one or more area.
- Able to effectively manage the requirements and relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Provides effective leadership and team management.
- Works on issues where analysis of situations or data requires in-depth knowledge of function or geography objectives.
- Reviews objectives to determine success of operation.
- Advises and makes recommendations to stakeholders regarding function or unit.
- Manages the coordination of activities of a group and is responsible for the results.
- Drives ongoing development of self and team members to ensure sustainable performance for the team.
- Ability to manage resources and develop the planning and reporting of progress within the project environment.
Knowledge of the following stack used by the team:
- Visual Studio and the C# Language
- Asp.Net\MVC\Web API
- Bootstrap, HTML5, JQuery
- Entity Framework and SQL Server
- Azure DevOps GIT\CI\Wiki
- Azure cloud services
- The following role specific abilities are required:
- Software design and architectural advice.
- Triaging issues and supporting a helpdesk.
- Task planning and scheduling (agile and waterfall).
You will have a relevant Computer Science or similar degree, but professional development experience will be strongly considered in lieu of a relevant degree.