System Administrator - Senior
Location: Scott Afb, IL
Category: Information Technology
Our client provides information technology solutions and services to a broad range of both Government and private industry, including Department of Defense, Federal Civilian agencies, healthcare, education, and small/medium business market. Their analysts, engineers, and technicians are highly trained, qualified subject matter experts, understanding each segments specialized business processes, requirements, and functions. Combined with an extensive IT background, Information Solutions Group's enhanced IT services enable our clients to analyze existing business processes, identify process improvements, evaluate associated risks, and develop operational solutions.
This position is in support of deployment of the Global Command and Control System, Joint program that is downward-directed by the Joint Chiefs of Staff and produced and maintained by the Defence Information Systems Agency (DISA).
Under general direction, the GCCS (Linux) Senior System Administrator is responsible for activities related to system administration. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure Tier II troubleshooting support for incidents occurs within one (1) business day after receipt of request during normal business hours
- Ensure long-term requirements of systems operations and administration are included in the overall information systems planning of the organization
- Responsible for the installation, maintenance, configuration, and integrity of computer software
- Implement operating system enhancements that will improve the reliability and performance of the system
- Install, configure, and maintain operating system servers (95% Red Hat Enterprise Linux/RHEL, 5% Windows Server), including web servers and database servers, in support of business processing requirements
- Install, configure, and maintain a small number of dedicated GCCS-J Windows 10 workstations running GCCS-J specific software, such as Agile Client
- Ensure response to hardware or software problems occurs within 15 minutes of initial report during on-site hours and on an on-call basis after duty hours with a two (2) hour response time to begin work
- Utilize Remedy/ITSM to maintain and track trouble tickets
- Perform account and access management for GCCS servers, specified applications and databases.
- Schedule and perform software installations and upgrades to operating systems and layered software packages in accordance with DISA GCCS-J Program Management Office (GCCS-J PMO) guidelines and release announcements
- Monitor and tune the system to achieve optimum performance levels
- Ensure workstation/server data integrity by evaluating, implementing, and managing appropriate software and hardware solutions
- Ensure data/media recoverability by implementing a schedule of system backups and database archive operations
- Develop and promote standard operating procedures
- Maintain and support several physical suites using RHEL KVM to host multiple collections of GCCS RHEL and Windows Server Virtual Machines (VMs)
- Maintain and support GCCS servers, workstations, and applications to ensure compliance with established standards, policies, and configuration guidelines, including DISA Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs) and GCCS-J security configuration requirements
Here's What You'll Need:
The selected candidate must have the following:
- Demonstrated experience supporting Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Servers
- Demonstrated experience operating and maintaining both physical and virtual servers
- The ability to support 24 hour Weekend/Holiday On-Call Operations and respond onsite within two (2) hours of notification
- An IAT Level II certification is required.
- The minimum of an interim Secret level DoD Security Clearance is required.
- The position requires 5+ years of experience working as a Linux or Unix System Administrator.
Additional desired knowledge or abilities:
- Knowledge or experience with Global Command and Control System - Joint (GCCS-J) or GCCS Air Force (GCCS-AF) software and architecture
- Experience working with Microsoft Windows Active Directory servers
- Knowledge or experience working with DISA
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) certification or other Linux certification desired
- Red Hat KVM experience
Some travel is expected for this role and is estimated at 10-15%.
This position requires a Bachelors degree with 5 years of experience. An IAT Level II certification is required. The minimum of an interim Secret level DoD Security Clearance is required.