Purpose of the job
The Tunnel Sub-Agent (sprayed concrete lining and squareworks) is responsible for all tunnelling operations, including managing the tunnel pit boss and yard foremen (shift superintendents), shift engineers and lead miners on my clients LU project. The sub agent acts as the Person In Charge (PIC) for the shift as defined in the tunnel management plan.
Accountabilities / Key responsibilities
- Act as Person in Charge for all tunnelling works on site.
- Ensure and enable safe and efficient execution of the works.
- Attend Daily Review Meeting, agree RESS and deliver RESS briefing.
- Responsible for all activities on shift including the surface and underground construction supply chain.
- Ensure and enable start of shift safety briefings, method statements, activity plans and constantly monitors safety.
- Ensure and enable morning briefings to workforce.
- Ensure and enable implementation of the RESS.
- Carry out compliance checks.
- Manage resources and underground logistics.
- Manage all plant and equipment.
- Ensure all certificates, assurance and compliance certificates are generated and collated.
Job-Specific Safe Responsibilities
- Responsible for the implementation of the Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensure that all the works are performed in a safe manner.
- Ensure that all the works meet the necessary quality standards.
- Co-operate with health and safety inspectors in all health and safety matters.
- Report any near misses, hazards observed and any defects in plant or equipment.
- Use personal protective as required by the site rules and procedures.
- Participate in the health and tidy maintenance of the work places.
- Collaborate with the safe storage of materials and equipment and disposal of waste.
- Provides the Tunnel Agent with daily records and program progress information.
Experience, knowledge, qualifications & training
- Have a good working knowledge of English, both written and verbal, and be able to report at management level.
- Extensive soft ground tunnel experience in urban environments including sprayed concrete lining (SCL) and Squareworks, ideally in a London Underground environment.
- A Sub Agent, or equivalent, with substantial experience in similar works and similar tasks. Must show experience in medium / large size projects in planning, packages procurement, set up and delivery of the works, supervision and coordination of the activities, working directly on site.
- Comprehensive experience with a Civil Engineering Contractor on large infrastructure or tunnelling contracts.
- A good working knowledge of the:
- Health & Safety at Work Act 1974
- Construction Design and Management Regulations 2015
- Management of health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999
- other relevant legislation
- Educated to degree or higher level or equivalent in a numerate discipline, typically an Engineering discipline. A different educational level, typically HNC or HND may be acceptable where a very significant level of experience in a senior technical engineering role can be demonstrated.
- Membership of an appropriate Professional body.
- Hold valid CITB Site Manager Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS).
- Have demonstrable experience of leadership, building and motivating teams.
- Experience of effective problem solving on major tunnelling projects.
- Have excellent organisational skills and the ability to plan ahead and manage own time.
- Excellent presentation skills
- Effective negotiating skills
- Computer skills - Word, Excel, Outlook, Explorer.
- Hold Supervisory CSCS Card (Black).
- Hold a Tunnel Safety Card.
- Hold a First Aid Training Certificate.
- Hold a Confined Space Training Certificate.