Assistant Urban Designer
A chance to work for a leading private consultancy who prides itself on employee development, working on large scale, complex and exciting projects in a supportive and cooperative environment in Oxfordshire.
Our client is an innovative multi-disciplinary practice combining Architects, Town Planners and Urban Designers who pride themselves on being creative, sustainable, and client focused and have recently been awarded the Investors in People Gold accreditation. They are leading on the development of some nationally significant projects, including an entirely new settlement in the South of the UK. Due to the number of new promotions and schemes, they are currently looking to expand quite significantly to support their current work load. As such they require an Assistant Urban Designer to join their team.
The role of Assistant Urban Designer
You will be assisting with providing first class Urban Design and Masterplanning expertise for a range of clients, on new development and public Urban Design projects. Part of this is to liaise and draw expertise from other departments in the business such as Planning and Architecture, to provide the context for good design in both built form and the public realm.
Key job responsibilities:
- Assist Urban Designers and Senior Urban Designers in contact with clients providing advice upon design, strategy and progress of projects.
- Assist in the preparation of feasibility studies for early masterplanning work
- Assist in scheme design and development from initial concepts to preparing planning drawings
- Help prepare initial feasibility analysis and contextual appraisals of development opportunities, having regard to urban design principles.
- Promote contemporary sustainable development having regard to modern methods of construction, consequences for climate change and carbon emissions to affordable housing and transport.
- Help the Urban Designers and Senior Urban Designers prepare design briefs for sites and clearly show how local context influences design.
- Prepare and assist with masterplanning projects.
- Develop a working knowledge of design codes and their use within the planning process.
- Assist in preparing planning application submissions.
- Assist and help to co-ordinate other professionals involved in the project to ensure a seamless design approach.
- Assist in the preparation of design and access statements as well as feeding in key drawings and writing descriptive text, where appropriate.
- Translate a masterplan from a hand sketch into a CAD drawing and assist in producing masterplan feasibility studies exploring density.
- Prepare parameter plans and design frameworks alongside masterplan area schedules.
- Participate in and gain experience of successful public consultation exercises associated with urban design, contextual reports, master plan proposals and planning application proposals, in line with best practice and strategies identified by Local Authorities in their Statement of Community Involvement (SCI).
- To begin to maintain a programme of CPD in line with company requirements and best practice in Urban Design. This may include completion of PEDR sheets.
- Maintain a current knowledge of best practice and procedures in Urban Design.
- Display an understanding of spatial awareness within all projects.
- You have a degree and postgraduate degree in a relevant subject
- You have 1-3 years PQE within the Urban Design field
- Experience in design software such as AutoCAD
- A passion for sustainability and design, with a desire to progress your career with a leading organisation