|Job Title:||Civil Discipline Head - Water|
|Location:||UK - England - East of England, Cambridgeshire - Peterborough|
|Salary:||£50,000 - £60,000|
|Job Published:||11 months ago|
Civil Discipline Head - Water
As the AMP6 workload increases my client require a Civils Discipline Head to join the design team.
Extensive knowledge of the following:
- The structures required for Water and Waste Water treatment processes
- Full understanding of civil conceptual design and optioneering
- Full understanding of civil detailed design.
- Assist relevant members of the Alliance with:
- The civil elements of standard designs & products to aid repeatability within designs
- Supporting the civil team & supply chain’s journey to move to BIM/PLM delivery for all projects
- Reviews of associated supply chain capability relating to civil engineering design
- Establishing new frameworks for civil design partners and best in class agreements with the supply chain
- The development and improvement of civil design processes and procedures to ensure design quality, consistency and repeatability;
- Explore opportunities for efficient out-sourcing and off-shoring to expand our technical capability, improve design efficiency and manage peaks in workload
- Knowledge, understanding and implications of Minimum Asset Standard (MAS)
- Understand and implement the Benefit by Design initiatives stated in the AMP6 White Book, especially those relating to technical excellence & advancement.
- Identify resource requirements and recruit accordingly to build a team that will suit a diverse selection of projects. This will involve interviewing candidates to ensure they meet the requirements of that role. As part of this process the Discipline Head will be expected to define a hierarchical structure in their team.
- Champion excellence in Health and Safety in design. Ensure that all Civil Discipline Engineers have sufficient knowledge and skills to produce safe designs and discharge their obligations according to the CDM Regulations.
- Collaborating with the IPL & TM to allocate work appropriately according to team member skills and Alliance initiatives
- Understanding the capabilities and limitations of team members, set clear standards & expectations
- Engaging with partner training and development programmes and utilise where possible
- Communicating successes and individual achievements to ensure appropriate credit is given and best practice is shared.
- Chair regular discipline meetings to promote team engagement and cascade topical information, Alliance initiatives and updates on Standard Products and Minimum Asset Standards (MAS).
- Ensure that all technical work is undertaken to the correct standards and specifications. Ensure that the requirements of MAS are understood and adhered to. Engage with the MAS team to challenge & develop MAS & drive design consistency.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality & consistency of all civil technical documents.
- Ensure that the carbon reduction challenge for AMP6 is met by promoting innovation, challenging scope and raising awareness in the team.
- Communicate effectively at all relevant levels to ensure that the need to deliver technical excellence is understood and implemented. Escalate issues that may impact on time/cost/quality to the Design Manager before they become problems.
- Maintain close links with other Discipline Heads and the Design Manager to ensure smooth interfaces between disciplines, manage gaps or overlaps and share best practice. Liaise closely with Technical Managers within the programme area to provide technical guidance and explore opportunities for out-performance from technical innovation.
- Set up the structure of the team to enable technical excellence e.g. document checking procedures, mentoring arrangements, briefing sessions etc.
- Be responsible for the production of templates for technical deliverables required in the Common
- General arrangements, details and sections
- Engineering calculations including hydraulics, structural and geotechnical calculations
- Particular specifications for civil engineering sub contracts, including concrete mixes.
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering
- You will need to have significant experience in the water industry
- Good problem solving/contingency planning skills with ability to find quick, innovative and practical solutions
- Effective negotiation and persuading skills, able to manage and diffuse challenging situations