Consultant Scientist - GIS and Water Quality Modelling
Allen & York have been brought on board by a historic organisation within the Environmental sector who provide support across water quality, science and utilities in the UK and abroad. If you are driven to solve problems, enjoy selling your ideas and exploring innovations and want to develop your career as part of a world-class team, then my client needs to hear from you.
We are currently looking to recruit a high quality Consultant Scientist with a background Geographical Information Systems (GIS), Geomatics, Environmental Science or Geography to work in our Catchment Management and Asset Management service areas.
The exact nature of the work would depend on the projects you are involved in but is likely to involve:
- Compiling and assessing data and other information, either directly from our clients, from other EU Member States, or through literature and other searches
- Data processing, analysis and interpretation of data in GIS, databases or spread sheets
- Development of tools to automate analysis and other workflows
- WQ modelling using water industry and in-house modelling packages.
As one of the team you'll be offered a superb and challenging working environment where new ideas are encouraged. When you join us you will benefit from attending a number of structured training modules covering a range of management, business and IT skills, as well as receiving on the job training. Your continuing development will be regularly supported by your manager who will not only assess your performance but will help you formulate a training plan that matches your career aspirations. It will be challenging but it will also be exciting and you will learn new skills.
- Ideally 2-3 years' experience in the water industry working in a GIS/Hydrology or WQ modelling team
- Minimum 2:1 degree or a higher degree in GIS, Geomatics, Environmental Science/Management, Geography or related discipline
- Strong GIS skills with ESRI ArcGIS Desktop
- Programming skills ideally with either Python, VB.NET or VBA
- Good database and SQL skills with either MS-Access, SQL Server, Oracle or another comparable database
- Understanding of water quality issues.
You should also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Eligibility to work permanently in the UK
- A passion for technical excellence within your discipline
- Self-motivation and the ability to work with a moderate level of supervision
- Exceptional team working skills
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A systematic logical approach to problem solving
- Good attention to detail
- The ability to prioritise and manage your time effectively to meet deadlines and client needs
- The ability to think innovatively.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an individual who is perhaps looking to move away from a consultancy background into a different environment. We are in a position to appoint this position immediately so it would be fantastic to hear from you.