|Job Title:||Development Manager|
|Contact Name:||Sally Woods|
|Job Published:||about 1 year ago|
Senior Development Manager
Cape Town, South Africa
Our client is a global developer based across continents from their UK headquarters.
They need a senior appointment for their Cape Town office.
The Senior Development Manager will be responsible for the complete project development lifecycle from project inception to start of construction.
The successful candidate will be involved in wind and solar PV projects. Activities will cover all aspects of development including environmental studies, permitting, engineering, landowner and other stakeholders' engagement and management, site selection, interaction with Eskom to ensure feasible access to the national grid, various government permitting requirements and a number of private sector permissions.
The Senior Development Manager will also be part of efforts to the REIPPPP and bringing Preferred Bidder projects to Financial Close, as well as supporting their teams/ departments as and when required. The Senior Development Manager will be required to manage one or more Development Project Managers.
- To own and be responsible for a number of wind and/or solar projects, referred to below as assigned projects.
- Deliver assigned projects on time, on-schedule, within budget to agreed quality.
- Ensure that projects are identified, developed and designed / executed in line with corporate values, development goals, objectives and processes.
- HEALTH AND SAFETY: Follow all South Africa health and safety procedures. Be fully responsible for the health and safety on each assigned project.
- ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES: Oversee / manage external consultants appointed for assigned projects.
- REIPPPP: Prepare projects for DOE's procurement process, ensuring accurate documentation and filing documents. Development of projects for non-REIPPPP customers might also be required.
- PUBLIC OUTREACH: Participate in EIA public participation processes as well as manage community engagement for assigned projects.
- PERMITTING: Manage the permitting processes for assigned projects.
- LAND: Arrange landowner meetings; design and issue landowner newsletters; gain familiarity with the full land agreement processes and all involved parties, including land agents, landowners, employees, local recording offices, land title agents and insurers, etc. Secure land agreements as required for project site, access, grid line etc.
- SITE SELECTION: Apply site selection criteria and evaluate any new possibilities.
- GRID ACCESS: Prepare required documentation to engage Eskom and secure project grid access.
- ENGINEERING: Oversee / manage external consultants appointed to perform preliminary engineering studies and site design.
- Manage the project delivery and career development junior developers.
- Assist in recruitment efforts to bolster the development team, as and when required.
- Document and administer all project related information, as required.
- Be involved in relevant industry bodies' committees and initiatives.
- Undertake project-related administrative tasks.
- Support the Development Manager and COO of Development as and when required.
- Improve and update Mainstream development standardised procedures as and when required.
- Put in place and manage project schedule, budget and other project controls for assigned projects.
- Identify and communicate on a timely basis all project barriers and risk, together with the strategies and approaches to overcome those barriers and risks.
- Educational background in Engineering, Science, Environmental Related Disciplines, or Renewables Engineering.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in renewable power development is required.
- Wind and solar PV experience preferred.
- Driver's license required.
- Project management experience is required and a project management qualification would be an advantage.
- Have excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Be comfortable presenting to management at all levels
- Be capable of managing internal and external resources with ease, taking a lead role at meetings, setting priorities and recording actions.
- Ability to use Microsoft software packages such as Word, Excel, Outlook is essential and ability to use specialist software packages e.g. GIS, AutoCAD, MS Project, Sharepoint will be an advantage.
- Well-organized, self-motivated punctual, detail-oriented, enthusiastic and confident.
- Ability and willingness to work effectively in a team environment and also independently.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and meet reporting deadlines.
- A person with a "can-do" attitude who demonstrates hands-on accountability for their work.
- Able to think conceptually and strategically.
- Able to anticipate problems, effectively seek out pertinent information which identify the cause(s) of a problem and select the correct solution.
- Able to maintain the respect and confidence of team members and have a courteous and helpful manner.