Director of Business Development - Energy Storage - Asia Pacific Region
Our client is a global leader in renewable energy development, engineering, construction, and operations.
Over the last 5 years they have had an increasing focus on Energy Storage and DSM. They develop, engineer, procure, construct, operate, and own energy storage projects and has over 75MW of energy storage projects constructed or in construction, delivering frequency regulation, upgrade deferral and micro-grid capabilities to its customers.
To maximize the value proposition of a delivered energy storage project, the company has its own energy storage control system which means that they offer the complete range of non-OEM energy storage solutions, delivering full turnkey projects to meet the challenges of operating an energy network in the 21st century. They are looking to recruit a suitable candidate to build and lead this business across Asia.
The role will be based in Tokyo, Japan and you would be responsible for leading business development activities specific to energy storage and distributed energy solutions throughout Japan and the Asia-Pacific region. The role will initially be heavily focussed on the strategic entry of the company into the Japanese energy storage market and will then expand into various other markets across the Asia-Pacific region including distributed energy solutions such as Commercial and Industrial behind the meter applications. The successful candidate will have either a technical or engineering background within the energy industry and a strong business development, customer focused approach.
Internally, the role will be required to:
- Interact with other arms of the organization to obtain support and reinforce their activity by providing complementary offers (e.g. energy storage with solar PV),
- Leverage the support of transmission engineers to identify high value grid locations,
- Work with engineering and construction to obtain cost estimates with a focus on safety, quality, sustainability and low cost,
- Engage with financial modellers to build business models,
- Work with group strategy and the Japanese team to identify regulatory barriers as well as opportunities, for storage,
- Bring business opportunities to the attention of senior management and obtain their buy in.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Experience within the energy storage and renewable energy sector,
- Knowledge of the current & expected role for energy storage within the Japanese market is essential,
- Developing a strategy for the Japanese energy storage and distributed energy markets,
- Interacting with colleagues to produce complimentary offers for the Japanese market,
- Development and maintenance of 'key client' relationships (including utilities & Independent Power Producers)
- Evaluation of project-level economic viability,
- Securing profitable contracts and managing the delivery,
- Staying current with market and policy movements in regards to storage & distributed energy,
- Familiarity with the commercial and regulatory aspects of the Japanese electric utility industry and market including utility rate-base processes,
- Build relationships with regulatory bodies and contribute to market formation
- Familiarity with energy storage technologies,
- Language - have English or Japanese as first language and be highly proficient and able to conduct business in the other,
- Ability to work across cultures,
- Ability to assimilate technical inputs in formulating business strategies,
- Excellent business development and networking skills,
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written),
- Ability to work across business units,
- Team player.
- College degree, in an engineering or science field supplemented with an MBA or demonstrated business experience.
For further information please contact Marina Moya on +44 (0) 1202 888986
We look forward to receiving your application.