Our client is a global solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best energy technologies in the world. The company is unmatched in terms of global reach and scale. Through design, manufacturing, installation and ongoing maintenance and monitoring, The company provides its proprietary, world-record efficient solar technology to residential, commercial and utility customers worldwide.
Summary of Role:
Director, Development Southern Africa
The company is a global solar company and a leading solar player in the Republic of South Africa (RSA) having local offices, a manufacturing facility and a strong track record on power plants construction.
Reporting to the Managing Director, UPP Sales, EMEA and India, the Director Development will be responsible for aggressively growing The company's leadership in the multi-megawatt PV power plant sector by leading teams in all phases of project development, including permitting, real estate and interconnection/transmission aspects of commercial- and utility-scale projects, closing exclusivity deals with co-development partners, building long term relationships and supporting the closing of transactions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Managing The company's team of subject matter experts, with particular emphasis initially on successful completion of all open permitting, transmission and real estate matters in RSA.
- Expand The company's pipeline of solar power projects; drive conversion to revenue on forecasted and committed timeline.
- Define development budget as part of the annual/multi annual planning cycle and monitor spend tracking against budget.
- Monitor development of captive pipeline progress, drive acquisition of new permits and progress of existing ones.
- Oversee business expansion in new countries across the region including defining market entry strategy.
- Drive and negotiate partnerships with new or existing customers and developers.
- Working on an integrated basis with the Development, Sales, EPC, Legal and Finance teams to progress projects into construction and financing.
- Presenting to management and Board on project development
- Representing The company at public hearings and government and community events related to solar projects.
- Staffing, performance management, training and development of the personnel on the development team.
- The position will be based in Cape Town.
- Frequent travel (40%) required within Southern Africa, with minimum quarterly travel to The company EMEA offices depending on business unit interaction.
Education and Experience
- University degree in business, engineering, or economics. MBA strongly preferred.
- 10+ years of proven track record of success preferably in the Renewable Industry (Solar) or infrastructure environment.
- 10+ years' experience in energy project development, including permitting, real estate, and transmission, preferably in renewable energy (Solar).
- Network of consultants and other professional relationships to support The company in-house development efforts.
- 8+ years' experience in business development and/or commercial sales.
- Strong track managing large interdisciplinary teams.
Skills and Qualifications
- Deep cultural and practical knowledge of RSA and robust network of contacts in the industry.
- Strong leadership skills and Business Strategic Vision with an ability to balance and prioritize competing interests.
- Proven track record in closing significant Power Plant business development deals.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Able to communicate clearly, in both oral and written form, across cultural boundaries.
- Energetic and aggressive in pursuing opportunities.
- Results-oriented with the ability to work independently, with light supervision, in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Customer management & project management experience, knowledge, & training.
- Passion for solar; conceptual understanding of solar in general & ability to see potential for solar in customer situation.
- Fluency in Afrikaans and English.
- Legally able to work in RSA.
- Proven leader and manager with demonstrated execution experience and people management skills (including multicultural and remote teams).
- Tenacious problem solver able to accurately assess, solve, implement, hand communicate solutions to problems.
- Optimistic outlook / "can-do" attitude.
- Highly effective communicator - able to craft and present excellent written presentations and analyze data to support arguments.
- Proven ability to adapt to change in a calm and measured manner.
- Excellent judgment and highest ethical standards
This is just one of many jobs that ALLEN & YORK are currently recruiting across the Middle East & North Africa (MENA) region. ALLEN & YORK are the specialist recruiters for the Middle East sustainability sector and actively recruit in the UAE (predominantly Dubai & Abu Dhabi), Qatar, Oman, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt and Morocco. Our international network of clients & candidates mean we have a demonstrable track record in recruiting high calibre professional staff across the world - get in touch to learn more.