Dangote Industries Limited, DIL, one of Africa's largest and most diverse conglomerates, have retained ALLEN & YORK to manage the recruitment of a number of key Environmental Health, Safety and Security (EHSS) individuals.
We are embarking on a campaign to recruit a dynamic team to roll out DIL
's long term EHSS vision in line with international IFC standards. All positions will be Head Office based in Lagos, Nigeria.
Group Environmental Manager
The Group Environmental Manager is an integral part of the company Directorate EHSS and reports to the Dangote Industries Limited EHSS Director.
The role is essentially strategic and through effective leadership he/she will be required to develop and implement the environmental strategic initiatives and ensure the delivery of agreed outcomes via well executed environmental action plans.
The Environmental Manager will support the EHSS Director to establish the EHSS vision for the Group and develop the environmental policies, standards and programs for all of Group operations and new projects.
Primary Job Duties and Functions
Manage compliance,he/she will have extensive interface with site operations management, consultants and regulatory agencies.
Provide a leadership and mentoring role to the site teams with a visible and uncompromised commitment to EHSS.
- Develop, review and update Group environmental procedures and standards
- Monitor & report changes to environmental legislation
- Guide the Group in the setting of environmental improvement targets and relevant environmental performance indicators (KPI)
- Identify and request relevant training interventions;
- Contribute to the embedding of a culture of compliance and ethical behaviour in the Group;
- Monitor compliance of BUs through relevant audit programs
Prepare environmental reports for the Leadership Team, BUs Leaders, Site Managers and external stakeholders and incorporate any recommendations/comments emerging from the review of the report
Key Skills and Experience Required
- Member of an internationally recognised environmental/safety/health professional
- 10+ year's industry experience (cement and/or oil & gas and/or chemical preferred) including relevant project site operational experience in emerging countries, preferably in Africa;
- Track record in influencing positive organizational change inside organisation;
- Development and implementation of Integrated Management Systems according to IFC Performance Standards and ISO14001 international standard.
- Strong knowledge of environmental issues related to one or more relevant industry sectors and a mature and level-headed approach to business
Excellent technical capabilities, very good working knowledge of applicable environmental legislation, carbon and energy management, air emission, water and waste management, soil and groundwater contamination technologies, (preferably in emerging countries), international standards(e.g. IFC, World Bank Group and AfDB EHSS standards and guidelines) and practices across a spectrum including development projects and operations
With a 21,000 strong workforce, Dangote operates in diversified markets including significant manufacturing output; sectors include cement production, flour, sugar, rice, oil, haulage, real estate, steel and telecoms.
This is a remarkable opportunity to consolidate group wide EHSS practice and develop an enhanced function that will touch on thousands of lives delivering significant positive impact to people and the environment.
We look forward to receiving your application.