Senior Chemist - Hazardous Waste
Excellent opportunity to manage a team of chemists within a leading UK integrated waste management company. Ensuring that all waste material is assessed and handed in an approved manner, ensuring rigorous HSE compliance.
- Lead and manage a team of chemists to ensure effective receipt, processing and despatch of incoming hazardous waste.
- Ensure that all waste materials are assessed and handled according to rigorous HSE compliance.
- Demonstrate continuous improvement in productivity, plant availability and quality of materials produced.
- Ensure the security of incoming and disposal of waste - so that inputs and outputs meet defined standards e.g. PPC, discharge consent, pre-acceptance and onward transfer caveats.
- To minimise backlogs and ensure material flows through the site without undue delay.
- With the team, carry out regular stock control and inventory of materials of both waste and consumables.
- Work closely with the site operations teams, to carry out or undertake any training as required.
- To be a CoTC holder and out of hours contact for the facility.
- Undertake project and development work as requested by Site Management, and assist the Operations Manager and Maintenance and Projects Manager in meeting targets.
- Assist in Duty of Care compliance audits on-site and at external disposal facilities.
- Assist in developing written operating procedures and risk assessments.
- To purchase in-line with company procedures and continuously look to improve operational productivity and cost efficiencies.
- Liaise with Control contractors whilst onsite.
- Analyse samples according to company procedures.
Qualifications & Skills
- HNC Chemistry
- GCSE or equivalent in Maths and Eng. Lang
- Experience as a chemist in hazardous waste management, business or chemical/manufacturing.
- IT literate - e.g.MS Office
- Able to work to deadlines in a time critical way.
- Ability to measure and monitor data.
- Organised and analytical, with good communications and written skills.
- Full clean UK valid driving license.
- Willingness to travel within the UK for business meetings and off-site projects.
- Hazardous Treatment and Transfer CoTC
- IOSH or other safety qualification.
- Management training or qualification.
- Proven track record of working to KPIs.
- Awareness of carriage and security implications of hazardous waste.
- Leadership and influencing skills.
You may have to undertake work at other facilities, which may involve travel and nights away.
For more information about this position please contact Charles Cocklin 01202 888 986.
We look forward to receiving your application.