ALLEN & YORK Ltd are delighted to have been retained exclusively by Hydro Developer to source their Head of Environment & Social. This joint venture is a multi-billion dollar Hydropower development in Georgia backed by the Georgian Government and the EBRD, it represents a nationally significant infrastructure development.
Based full time in country, this role will hold overall responsibility for the development and delivery of all Environmental and Social Management Programmes associated with this ambitious development, in this regard the role offers a career highlight opportunity being such a key role on a project of huge range and significance.
- Responsible for overseeing the Environmental and Social performance of a large Hydropower Project implementation.
- Manage and monitor the implementation of the ESMP measures under the responsibility of Company
- Manage the ESMP and LALRP budgets.
- Establish Scope of Work for, and manage, contracts with specialized E&S sub-consultants.
- Manage the communication with the Lenders on E&S aspects.
- Prepare Project Incident Notification to Lenders, Six-monthly Environmental & Social Report to Lenders and Six-monthly Environmental & Social Performance report to larger public.
- Ensure that environmental or social monitoring reports are produced and quality assured.
- Propose, implement and monitor measures necessary to comply with national environmental and social legislation.
- Monitor and advise on compliance with Lenders E&S policies. Resolve E&S issues in case of non-compliance, and where needed, prepare time-bound corrective action plans with specific follow-up procedures.
- Promote good health, social and environmental practices throughout all Company activities;
- Consult with other line managers and Owners Engineer and give appropriate advice on formulating best-practice policies and procedures.
- Amend, improve or develop internal procedures required for E&S management
- Provide, or where necessary source, environmental and social training to the E&S Team members
- Manage public disclosure of E&S project documentation
- Conduct fortnightly site visits at minimum to (i) monitor progress of the E&S team on the field, (ii) meet project-affected villagers and local authorities, and (iii) audit worksites with respect to health safety, environmental and social issues.
- Prepare Annual Work Plan for the E&S team
- Control the supervision by the Owner's Engineer of the implementation of the ESMP measures which are under the responsibility of the EPC Contractor.
- Guide, and where necessary source, the public relation approach and communication strategy with affected communities and Civil Society Organisations.
- Implement and improve the Environmental and Social Management System required for the execution of the ESMP measures under the responsibilities of Company.
- Support and monitor the implementation of the Land Acquisition and Livelihood Restoration Plan by the Social Manager and the Land Team.
- Monitor the implementation of Stakeholder Engagement Plan and Grievance Mechanisms by the Company field staff.
- Provide guidance to, and monitor the implementation by, the Environmental Manager and the Land team of the measures relating the Restoration of access to pasture
- Support and guide the preparation and execution of the Community Investment Plan by the Social team
- Oversees the work done by the Environmental Manager for the preparatory actions and execution of the Vegetation Management Plan by the EPC Contractor and other third parties.
- Procure, monitor and assess the work required for the Wildlife conservation and river habitat management plan activities together with the Environmental Manager.
- Ensure the measures included in the Water quality management plan are conducted by the E&S Team;
- Ensure the Environmental Monitoring activities (water quality, hydrology, land use, socio-economy, aquatic biodiversity) are timely and qualitatively performed by the E&S team or third-party monitoring entities as required.
- Experience of Social & Environment management to power or other multi million-pound infrastructure projects.
- International project experience.
- Working knowledge and experience of IFC/EBRD Environment and Social standards
- Be an excellent communicator in English.
- Management and stakeholder engagement experience
- Ability to live full time in Tbilisi, Georgia
This role is based full time in country and will be a direct employee of the company. We regret that consulting, contracting, rotational and other working arrangements cannot be considered on this requirement.