|Job Title:||Health and Safety Advisor|
|Location:||UK - England - South East England, London|
|Salary:||Negotiable + car allowance|
|Contact Name:||Jack Cornick|
|Job Published:||6 months ago|
I am excited to be working with a leading UK charity who are looking for an Health and Safety to join them working from London in a National role. This charity has 152 retail stores across the UK and employ over 2000 members of staff.
The post holder will ensure that the retail sites and the head office are compliant with all Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Scope of the job
Reporting to the Facilities and Procurement Manager, you will have responsibility for Health and Safety for the Charity.
You will deliver an efficient and effective management of health and safety across head office and the retail sites.
- Provide advice to Facilities and Procurement Manager and management in general on operational activities and contribute to planning and decision making.
- Assist the Facilities and Procurement Manager to develop departmental and corporate processes and implement agreed operational plans and activities.
- Provide advice and support, in line with Health and Safety legislation and best practice
- Carry out appropriate Health and Safety inspections of shops and offices, as agreed, across England and Wales and write inspections finding report.
- Carry out fire risk assessments at shops and offices in line with the RRFSO and work with relevant manager / staff member to agree and implement remedial policies, processes and actions on a timely manner.
- Monitor and ensure that regular review of risk assessments for all work equipment and practices are carried out. Identify, agree and implement changes in policies and processes where appropriate to encourage compliance and reduce risks.
- Monitor and ensure safety inspections and building checks are carried out, including fire drills and fire alarms and staff are aware of their respective responsibilities.
- Establish and maintain a full program of documented H&S inspections, audits and check
- Develop, implement and manage an asbestos policy and management plan.
- To lead on external audits relating to Health and Safety and the implementation of recommendations from those audits. This will require close working with shop managers, shop regional managers and other affected management personnel.
- To work with managers, providing specialized advice and support in devising methods of risk identifications and assessments including elimination or control measures to reduce and protect against risk.
- To deliver suitable training programs including Health and Safety Induction, Manual Handling, Working at Height, Accident Reporting, COSHH and other relevant training as and when necessary.
- To take part in regular meetings with the Facilities and Procurement Manager and the Head of Property for Mind Retail.
- To organize, attend and service the Health and Safety Committee Meetings and any other meetings as required and write appropriate reports and give recommendations.
- This job description is neither exhaustive nor exclusive and may be reviewed in the future depending upon operational requirements.
- To assist the Facilities and Procurement Manager
- To keep abreast of new and changing Health and Safety legislation.
- Keep abreast of internal and external developments and respond accordingly
- To attend and contribute to supervision and appraisal process, meetings, training, and other events as required.
- To adhere to relevant legal and statutory requirements including the Data Protection Act (ensuring an appropriate level of confidentiality at all times), Health and Safety at Work Act (ensuring H&S of own and others at all times) and any other relevant/charity law.
- To travel to meetings in England and Wales, which may require the need to work unsociable hours e.g. attending evening or weekend meetings or for overnight stay
- To undertake other duties that may be necessary in compatible with the nature of this post and this will flexibility in undertaking the role
- At least 3 years recent and relevant experience in a similar role preferably within the Retail sector
- Experience of undertaking fire risk assessments and writing inspection reports
- Past experience of working largely unsupervised and on own initiative
- Proven record of managing multiple competing priorities and meeting tight deadlines
- Experience of working with people at all levels
- Experience of communicating complex technical information to non-technical audiences in writing and verbal communications.
- Hold the NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
- Applied knowledge of HASAWA and associated regulations
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office
- National role
- 152 retails stores
- Auditing and Advice giving