Our Client are looking for an experienced Health & Safety Manager to focus on chemical safety. They will support the Faculty of Mathematics and Physical Sciences, and use experience to achieve best practice in the management of chemical and hazardous substances.
- To play a pivotal role in the promotion and maintenance of a healthy and safe working environment, developing an effective partnership with the Dean and Heads of School in the Faculty of Mathematics and Physical Sciences.
- To develop a quality safety management system which adheres to the principles of OHSAS 18001
- To perform reactive incident and accident investigations to establish root cause and make recommendations for appropriate action to prevent recurrence.
- To develop health and safety information resources (e.g. handbook and websites) and provide advice to and respond to information requests from staff and students in the Faculty.
- To develop and provide relevant induction and training to new and existing members of staff (in collaboration with the Health and Safety Training Manager). To support the University health and safety training and development programme, especially in relation to specialist area.
- To provide strategic and operational support to Heads of School; Principal Investigators: Institute Directors in the management of health and safety, especially in relation to the completion of risk assessments and the effective implementation of necessary control measures.
- To develop the relevant competencies of other health and safety related personnel working within the Faculty, including Fire Wardens, First Aiders, Radiation Protection Supervisors, Laser Safety Officers and Biological Safety Officers, who are professionally accountable to the post holder.
- To co-ordinate, in partnership with the Dean and Heads of School, the activities of other health and safety related personnel.
- Degree in a chemistry related discipline.
- NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent level health and safety qualification.
- Corporate membership of IOSH or working towards or equivalent.
- Suitable experience within a large organisation at an appropriate level, either in HE/ FE or a commercial environment.
- Detailed knowledge of health and safety in relation to chemicals, pressure vessels, cryogenics and hazardous substances (excluding biological agents).
- Good interpersonal skills ability to build effective working relationships with a wide range of people both internally and externally.
For further information please contact Ashley Smith on +44 (0) 1202 888986
We look forward to receiving your application.