Leak Detection Technician
Main Purpose of Job:
To ensure that all work activities are undertaken thoroughly to achieve the delivery of services to the client.
- Responsible for verifying the integrity of DMA/PMA zones by checking the status of boundary valves, whilst complying with our clients procedures.
- Act as a trouble-shooter to identify and resolve water distribution network issues relating to the monitoring and reporting of leakage levels in any given area.
- Participate in the collection of flow and pressure logging data to meet reporting targets.
- Undertake leak surveys on mains outside continuous night flow monitoring, trunk main inspections and perform leakage correlation activities to ensure the integrity of mains/services and identify any deficiencies associated with these apparatus.
- Ensuring that all changes to the Network are recorded and passed to the relevant system owner for updating and ensuring that details shown on all systems are current.
- Tracing and marking the location of the client's apparatus as required.
- Ensuring that Guaranteed Standards applying to written appointments and complaints are achieved and maintained and that all procedures in place are strictly adhered to.
- Carry out night working when requested by the client.
- Leak location and detection and leak noise correlation on both the client's apparatus and customer service pipes including non-excavation minor repairs.
- Undertake investigations and minor repairs within customer properties or on services supplying the customer's property with water.
- Ensuring compliance with customer supply pipe policy when carrying out customer leakage investigations,
- Providing expert assistance to the Distribution Inspectors on 'emergency' jobs.
- Acoustic logging deployment, retrieval, analysis and follow up leak investigation and identification of remedial works (leak repairs and maintenance) including the raising of job tickets on FDCS/Ellipse.
- Ensure compliance with the waste notice procedure.
- Installation and interrogation of flow and pressure logging equipment.
- Download and interrogation of Southern Water smart meters as necessary.
- Ensuring housekeeping of the electronic mobile communication device is maintained.
- Ensuring feedback on new building property counts is given to the client where different from MapInfo address point.
- Ensuring effective evaluation of new leakage technology on site.
- Working with the client to identify/improve Leakage operational procedures.
- Carrying out high consumption investigations on customer service pipes and advising the client accordingly.
- Undertake valve operations by agreement with the client to undertake mains shutdowns, rezoning or step testing activities (only those staff qualified to do so).
- Assistance in DG2/DG3 Incidents and Emergency Events.
A minimum of 2 years leakage operational experience and NVQ Level 2 or QCF equivalent qualification in Leak Detection (note that 30% of staff shall be qualified to NVQ Level 3 within 12 months).
Must understand the workings of Distribution systems.
Full driving licence required.
Knowledge of regulatory requirements and procedures.
Good hearing is essential.
Good interpersonal and communication skills.
Ability to operate Geographical Information Systems.
Ability to operate electronic mobile communications devices.
A basic knowledge of domestic bye-laws and water quality requirements.
Ability to supervise and train a Leakage Assistant, o Basic IT Skills.
Knowledge of leak detection technology and leak detection techniques.
Ability to work to alone and to targets is essential.
Must have drive and enthusiasm.
Must hold valid EU Skills National Hygiene accreditation card.
New Roads and Street Works Act (1991) Unit 2 accreditation.
Good problem solving ability.
Extremely good customer facing skills is essential and GSS/SIM process awareness.
Fully aware of H&S, HR, NRSWA, Environmental and QA policies and standards.
For more information contact Thomas Bullen 01202 888 986
We look forward to receiving your application.