Our client is a Fund Manager in the City whose energy team makes equity investments in a wide range of environmental infrastructure assets, across technologies including biomass combustion, waste-to-energy combustion, waste and biomass gasification, anaerobic digestion, composting, materials recovery and recycling.
The team has to date invested in a portfolio of projects across the UK. Historically, the Investment Manager who made the investment managed that project beyond Financial Close into construction and operations.
The management of the existing portfolio is currently split roughly 50:50 between the investment team and the Portfolio Manager.
The business is now looking to increase its portfolio management resources by appointing two portfolio managers to report into the existing Portfolio Director.
- Representing the funds' interests by sitting as Investor Director on the Boards of selected investee companies.
- Overseeing the performance of selected investee companies through construction and operations.
- Identifying, evaluating and proposing opportunities for performance improvements, both operationally and economically. Working closely with investee company management to drive performance.
- Identifying and developing opportunities for full or partial exits from selected investee companies.
- Assisting the Portfolio Director in all portfolio management activities: reporting; portfolio optimisation; identifying and developing opportunities for synergies.
- Actively contributing to the overall performance of the Environmental Team.
- Significant experience in infrastructure investment management or asset management, ideally investing in cleantech/waste management/renewable energy (could be from a corporate role, rather than a fund management role)
- A minimum 5 years' relevant experience is preferred.
- An understanding of the economic drivers of the waste management industry
- An appreciation of the economics of the various technologies in the portfolio
- A good communicator with an ability to influence at all levels
- Adaptable: able to quickly adjust to the varying demands of the investee companies and the portfolio more generally.
- Numerate: familiar with financial models and their use to evaluate and forecast performance
- Additional Skills and Experience
- An appreciation of the technical and operational aspects of the various technologies in the portfolio would be beneficial
- Previous experience as a board representative would be beneficial
- The existing portfolio is spread across the UK, including Northern Ireland, and regular travel to the project locations will be required.
- Occasional overseas travel may be required for reference plant visits etc.
- Commercial and/or operational experience from the waste management or renewable energy sector (preferably energy-from-waste or biomass power)
- A good understanding of the technical and operational aspects of the various technologies in the portfolio
- Specific experience of Anaerobic Digestion and/or waste-to-energy technologies would be of great benefit
Please contact Sally Woods for further information