|Job Title:||Principal Environmental Planner|
|Location:||UK - England - West Midlands, West Midlands - Birmingham|
|Contact Name:||Josh Marshall|
|Job Published:||6 months ago|
We are seeking an environmental planner with significant post graduate experience in the planning and consents process preferably with EIA knowledge and experience. Whilst the post will be based in the Birmingham office, the role will involve work across the rest of the UK and there maybe occasional opportunities to be involved in projects abroad. The post will be within our Environmental Assessment, Management and Town Planning (EAM&TP) team. The successful candidate will need to be commercially aware and familiar with managing budgets as part of project delivery. They will be responsible for managing and delivering into a broad range of consents work including bidding, inception, design/assessment and consenting. Our work involves infrastructure and development projects in most sectors, in particular highways; power generation and transmission and rail; together with urban mixed use, residential, commercial development and waste.
The role requires a good grounding in town planning and ideally EIA expertise. Excellent report writing and communication skills are essential for this post which will also include exposure to both internal and external clients.
- Management and coordination of multidisciplinary teams working on planning projects.
- Assistance with preparing consent applications which may include Town and Country Planning, Development Consent Order, Transport and Works Act etc.
- Provision of technical consents advice, primarily TCPA but ideally on PA2008 also.
- Drafting, assembly and editing of Environmental Statements and reviewing of topic specialists' inputs.
- Project management with effective budgetary control on projects owned or delivered into by the EAM&TP team.
- Desk studies, research, data management and report writing.
- Liaising with internal and external clients and statutory bodies, and public consultation, as necessary.
- Supporting commercial role such as time, fee and other cost estimates and bid preparation.
- Provide support and guidance to junior consultants and where required, oversee/ mentor their work.
- Be conversant with, and actively support the delivery of, company health & safety policy and requirements.
- Build good internal relationships through responsiveness and a commercial approach.
- Follow company and business unit procedures and administration requirements.
- Organise and manage work in a professional and responsible manner.
- Previous experience of delivering planning and EIAs and working with multi-disciplinary teams, preferably working with engineers.
- Sound knowledge and experience of the UK planning system.
- Understanding of the town and country planning consents process and ideally experience of other processes such as PA2008 and/or Transport and Works Act.
- Experience of liaising with planning authorities and stakeholders.
- Understanding of a range of technical environment discipline.
- Experience of Sustainability Appraisal and Strategic Environmental Assessment.
- Planning consultancy expertise.
- Degree level qualification in EIA and/or town planning.
- Postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject.
- Chartered status with RTPI
- Professional and able to work on own initiative.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with colleagues and clients.
- Willingness to tackle new areas of work beyond core skill and enthusiasm for completing a job.
- Positive attitude with good team working skills.
- Good commercial awareness.
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver against time and cost commitments.
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel Full UK driving licence.