|Job Title:||Principal Geotechnical Engineer|
|Location:||UK - England - South West England, Bristol|
|Salary:||£45,000-55,000 Bristol or Cardiff|
|Job Published:||8 months ago|
A great opportunity to join a leading global multi-disciplinary consultancy as a Principal Geotechnical Engineer in Bristol or Cardiff.
You will have practical geotechnical and design experience, and join a growing Geosciences team working predominantly across Utilities, Highways and Rail.
Reporting to the Director and working closely with the Team Leader, you will be accountable for managing components of projects, working in collaboration with other design disciplines and providing technical inputs to projects. The role will involve building relationships with clients, controlling commercial aspects of projects together with assisting and participating in developing team members to their full potential.
- Proactively managing selected projects and resource allocation
- Managing subcontractors and sub-consultants, quality assurance, health & safety and client feedback, to ensure effective communication.
- Collaborating with other design disciplines to ensure overall design integrity.
- Providing both leadership and technical support and advice to project team members.
- Manage the production of analysis and design and ensure compliance - including drawings, reports, specifications and studies.
- Identifying opportunities and maximise the profitability of design components.
- Facilitate and build effective and enduring client relationships.
- Consolidate both company and personal credibility in the industry.
- Manage all commercial aspects (contract, invoicing, debt management, client management etc) relating to projects for which you have responsibility.
- Liaising with the Project Director or Manager and the client to keep informed of all developments associated with the project.
- Providing direction to the discipline team, leading by example to achieve Sector/ Discipline goals and championing a quality, innovative, client-focused and entrepreneurial culture.
- Taking a proactive role in developing team members to their full potential.
- Communicating and directing team members to ensure that they understand, and become engaged with, sector/discipline business plans.
- Being familiar, compliant and able to undertake duties under the relevant H & S regulations and to promote a culture of awareness within the team.
- Proven experience on large multi-disciplinary projects preferably in the UK.
- Detailed geotechnical design experience including foundations, retaining walls and slope stability assessments.
- Experience in earthworks design, specification and implementation.
- Post graduate experience in most aspects of projects, including planning, supervising and designing elements of a project together with examples of applying standards and technical knowledge in projects.
- Experience in ground investigation design and implementation.
- Experience in the use of routine geotechnical design programs such as VDISP, WALLAP, SLIDE and SlopeW.
- Good numerical skills and significant experience in the analysis of a wide range of geotechnical problems.
- Good motivational and people management skills with an ability to influence staff and clients particularly regarding technical issues.
- Be able to demonstrate a high level of knowledge and experience with regards commercial aspects of projects.
- Excellent communication and motivational skills and provide direction to junior staff.
- Ability to liaise with clients and good spoken and written English.
- Ability to work within large multi-disciplinary engineering teams and think in an innovative and entrepreneurial manner.
- Fully familiar with MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook.
- Flexible to travel in UK and working away from base office.
- Full, valid driving license.
- Experience with geotechnical finite element analysis modelling (PLAXIS) would be a distinct advantage.
- Team player, self-starter and a problem solver i.e. "Can-do" attitude
- MEng in Civil Engineering with a Geotechnical bias.
- Chartered Civil Engineer (MICE).
- MSc in Geotechnical Engineering or related subject is desirable.