Principal Water Resources Hydrologist & Planner
A unique opportunity has arisen for a Principal Water Resources Hydrologist & Planner. You will need to have a technical knowledge of water resource management, drought management, and a detailed understanding of the UK water policy legislation. As the Principal Water Resources Hydrologist & Planner you will receive a generous salary and benefits package, work for a well respected company. For more information please call Barrie Dempster on 01202 888986 ext 280.
- Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining water and environmental management, energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating in the UK and across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
- My client has an extensive and expanding water resources planning and environmental management projects portfolio centred on the UK water companies. We are looking for an experienced and expert water resources hydrologist to join our team. The role will technically lead a range of water resource hydrology and planning projects as part of a multi-disciplinary team of experts to assess the water resources, hydro-ecology, gemorphology and water quality implications of proposed water resource schemes and drought management measures. The individual will be expected to technically direct the delivery of all the hydrological components required to support Water Resource Management Plans and Drought Plans and associated environmental assessments. The individual will project manage a portfolio of water resource management projects, as well as direct, coach and mentor junior staff on all technical aspects of water resource and drought hydrology.
- In this combined technical, team leader and project management role, the individual must be able to develop methodologies, proactively liaise with clients and regulators, technically direct project deliverables and lead junior staff. Ideally, having with a strong track record in a water company and/or water consultancy background, the individual must be technically robust in all aspects of water resources hydrology, drought and low flows assessment, water resources management planning and associated UK legislation and regulatory guidelines. The individual must also have a strong background in project management.
- Direct and provide technical input into a wide range of water resource management and drought management projects and assessments.
- To work effectively with water companies, regulators, planners, developers, design engineers, contractors to achieve positive outcomes for water resource strategies and scheme developments.
- Lead, project direct and coordinate a wide range of water resource studies.
- Build and maintain relationships with our clients through project and bidding activities
- Develop solutions and innovative approaches to our client's problems.
- Direct technical inputs from junior staff and sub-consultants.
- Lead, mentor and coach junior colleagues in all aspects of water resources hydrology and planning
- Drive innovation within the field of water resources to meet future challenges faced by our clients.
Key competencies and experience:
- Strong technical understanding of water resources planning, water resources hydrology, low flow and drought assessments
- Detailed understanding of UK water policy and legislation, water resources management and the Water Framework Directive
- Extensive applied experience in working for or with UK water companies
- Extensive experience of taking the lead technically on complex water resource projects
- Strong experience of regulatory and stakeholder communications and management
- A first degree in a relevant subject, such as Geography or Environmental Sciences and ideally a Masters or PhD in water resources and hydrology
- Ideally full membership of CIWEM (or similar professional body) and member of British Hydrological Society (or equivalent hydrological body)
- Strong background in project management / project direction
Skills and behaviours:
- Excellent team working skills together with strong communication skills and a close attention to detail
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated to thrive in this busy and demanding environment.
- Innovative thinking skills
- Excellent report writing and bid-writing skills
- Ability to give presentations at all levels including to regulators and external stakeholders
- Good IT skills in appropriate software, ideally with experience in rainfall-runoff models (e.g. HYSIM), water resource simulation models (e.g. Aquator) and water resources planning optimisation tools
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisational skills
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within my clients business.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field.
I look forward to receiving your application. For more information please call Barrie Dempster on 01202 888986 ext 280.