Quantity Surveyor - Transmission and Distribution (T&D)
Our client is one of the leading provider of vital multi-technical services specialising in lifetime support, from design right the way through to construction, maintenance, repair and operation. With the emphasis on green technology, they are innovative, forward thinking and committed to adding value to every project.
As a Quantity Surveyor, you must be responsible for the financial delivery of projects ensuring that projects are procured and delivered within budget and to the highest quality whilst exceeding customers' expectations. You will also have to manage the commercial process and direct the operational team in all commercial processes to ensure that projects are procured and delivered within budget and we achieve the department turnover targets and associated profit.
Aims and Objectives
- Profitable contracts and sound cash flow performance achieving customer satisfaction with minimum debtors
- To consistently deliver the companies "Management Expectations" successfully across all key areas, managing and supporting individuals and teams to meet and exceed business performance targets.
- To support the operational team in the commercial processes to ensure achievement of turnover and profit targets, profitable contracts and sound cash flow performance
- Managing risk to improve cost predictability and to ensure all work at every stage of a project is completed on time, within budget and to the correct standard. Maximising project margin and add value to the construction process by proactive involvement in procurement, cost management and reporting.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provide assistance to junior staff and advice to the team on all contractual, financial and commercial activities on specified projects
- Maintain commercial control ensuring close administration of accounts and reporting to the Commercial Manager on all significant debtors
- Price and effectively agree project variations. Achieve variation account profitability in accordance with budget strategy.
- Creatively consider value engineering
- Uptake on ideas and solutions included within projects resulting in a benefit to the project.
- Ensure compliance with delegated authority levels at all times
- Manage and understand the impact on risk and cover all aspects to protect the interests of self, others, and the business.
- Understand and manage the relationship between cost and programme, being able to forecast the expenditure of all project costs and manage the cash income position.
- Engage in business plans & strategy for growth including playing an active role in business development.
- To provide effective commercial and contractual support to operations on a number of major projects in accordance with SPIE procedures
- Prepare tender and contract documents, including bills of quantities
- Liaise with clients' surveyors on financial matters in order to provide an accurate forecast of final accounts
- Maintain sub-contractor accounts and advising the project team with up to date financial information
- Provide assistance and advice to the commercial team on all contractual, financial and commercial activities on specified projects
- Ensure timely submission and agreement of applications, cost plans, variation details, claims and other documentation
- Liaise with clients on the production and agreement of account details and securing final payment without undue penalty
- Carry out monthly valuations of work in progress, including forecasting of final costs and sales
- Prepare and monitor project cash flow forecasts.
- Manage and produce accurate formal reports in accordance with business timetable
- To assist the operational teams with a range of other duties as may be required from time to time.
- Agree subcontract package split with Contract Manager and, and prepare a subcontractor appointment schedule
- Check tender stage and send out new subcontract enquiries comprising B of Q pages, specification and relevant drawings.
- Arrange and hold pre-order meetings with all prospective subcontractors
- Ensure subcontract orders clearly pass on risk on a back-to-back basis, and are reflective of client payment terms plus 14 days
- Ensure a copy of all subcontract orders are provided to the site management team.
- Agree Valuation dates with the Client/PQS followed by the Valuation of the works including submission of external Application for Payment as required by the contract conditions
- Attend the internal Pre-start meeting
- Place subcontract orders
- Receive and value variations, update and maintain a variation schedule
Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge and Skills
The knowledge, skills, qualifications and experience relevant to the position are:
- HND or BSc in quantity or building surveying or a construction-related subject 2:1 grade qualified or recognised equivalent.
- Commercially astute, numerate, risk averse & able to accurately forecast cost & sales.
- IT Literacy and ability to use Microsoft Office.
- Good understanding of the implications of Health and Safety regulations
- Ability to work on own initiative, able to understand the priorities, plan and organise the work and manage own time to deliver within the expected timescales
- Excellent written and oral communication