Senior Civil Design Engineer - Water
Guildford or Croydon
The Exciting Opportunity:
If you’re looking for a role as a Senior Civil Design Engineer and wishing to develop your career and are ambitious to achieve your career potential, read on. Join our utilities team in Guildford as a Senior Civil Design Engineer and we’ll make sure you get the experience and personalised learning support you need to take your career as far as you want it to go.
Our Water and Utilities team is involved in some of the UK’s most complex and stimulating projects that are diverse and technically demanding. We have an enviable reputation in the delivery of such schemes and are working closely with some of the UK’s most established and recognisable utilities companies, undertaking a vast array of projects to enhance the UK’s utility services.
Overview of Role:
Reporting to the Principal Engineer you will take on a key role within the sector, providing leadership, technical advice and leading by example where appropriate, build and consolidate networks within the industry and promote and market all facets of my clients services during interfaces with clients and colleagues in other sectors offices.
You will manage selected projects (or parts of projects) meeting budgetary, quality and timeframe targets and provide input into the sector strategy and business plans as required.
- Providing both leadership and technical advice to project team members
- Coach and mentor junior staff for continuing development to achieve their full potential
- Working in collaboration with other design disciplines to ensure the integrity of the overall design
- Reviewing and ensuring compliance in the components of the project for which responsible, including drawings, reports, specifications and studies
- Delivering selected projects or components of projects, taking responsibility for resource allocation, design, managing subcontractors, quality assurance and client feedback and ensuring effective communication of any changes/modifications
- Building and maintaining effective relationships with clients on projects
- Liaising with the Project Director or Manager and the client to keep informed of all developments associated with the project
- Maintaining a good understanding of the background of the client’s business and industry to facilitate building effective and enduring relationships and consolidating both company and personal credibility in the industry
- Providing direction to the project team, leading by example to achieve sector goals and championing a quality, innovative, client-focussed and entrepreneurial culture
- Being familiar with, and compliant with, relevant H & S regulations and promoting a culture of awareness within the team
What you have to Offer:
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Civil Design Engineer to join our Water team based at our Guildford office, delivering design solutions for clean and waste water networks and/or clean and waste water treatment works. To be considered, we are seeking candidates with the following credentials:
- Degree qualified civil engineer
- Chartered Engineer (MICE or MIStructE) – consideration will be given to those nearing chartered status
- Essential Experience:
- Water industry design experience within the UK, including design of clean or waste water networks and/or clean and waste water treatment works
- Knowledge of, and ideally experience of producing hydraulic calculations
- Experience of working with and controlling designs from offshore design teams would be a distinct advantage
- Knowledge of BIM protocols and working with 3d models is advantageous
- Experience in managing commercial and contractual aspects of a project
- Good motivation, influencing and people management skills with the ability to lead and mentor less experienced engineers and technicians
- Ability to think in an innovative and entrepreneurial manner
Desired Experience & Skills:
- Master Degree or PhD