Senior Engineer (Dams and Reservoirs)
The role is to be primarily based in the project office outside of Newport or in my clients Cardiff Bay office. The role will require travel to our other UK offices and sites.
My client are seeking a Dams Engineer to join the Water Group in South Wales to strengthen our dams and reservoirs team in the UK West Sub-Region. They will take a key role in the management and delivery of the increasing workload in dams and reservoirs, and will act as Project Manager across a number of projects.
The successful candidate will enjoy working within a team, be enthusiastic, self-motivated and able to work with relatively little supervision. They will be aiming to develop their technical skills and should be Chartered or working towards a professional qualification with ICE or other relevant professional body. Membership of the Panel of Supervising Engineers under the Reservoirs Act 1975 would be beneficial.
Due to the wide range of projects we deliver, there are opportunities to have early responsibility for leading projects as well as involvement in a variety of schemes.
- Act as Bid Manager, ensuring appropriate procedures are followed, to maximise opportunities whilst managing risk.
- Provide input to bid responses.
- Act as Project Manager, supporting and keeping the Project Director informed of project progress and any potential problems or perceptions that could detrimentally affect the outcome of the project.
- Ensure that all projects follow Arup’s Management System (AMS).
- Act as a key contact with the Client for project delivery and managing client expectations.
- Manage and monitor financial performance of projects, including regularly updating the financial forecasts.
- Manage the planning and co-ordination of all technical activities.
- Manage and/or monitor external and internal sub-consultants.
- Manage and review all invoicing and collections.
- Communicate project progress with the Project Team.
- Plan and manage the technical and commercial reviews of the project at all appropriate stages in accordance with Arup procedures.
- Capture the knowledge gained on the project, including client feedback, into the firm’s knowledge networks for wider dissemination.
- Act as a member of Project Design Teams to develop design solutions for projects, prepare design calculations, specifications and reports, and oversee production of both outline and detailed design and construction drawings.
- Undertake feasibility studies and investigative reports.
- Liaise with other Arup groups and members of project delivery teams.
- Lead junior staff in delivery of projects.
- Be a team player with good oral and written communication skills.
- Have effective planning and organisation skills.
- Be highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges.
- A relevant degree.
- Chartered Engineer Status or working towards this.
- 5 years relevant experience.
- A strong background within the dams and reservoirs field of engineering.
- Membership of the Supervising Engineers Panel under the Reservoirs Act 1975 or working towards this qualification.
- Competence in using software packages in hydraulic analysis and stability analysis relating to dams.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office software packages.
- Good communication and report writing skills (in fluent English).
- A high degree of self-motivation and the willingness to seek out and take on new challenges.
- A proactive approach and the ability to plan ahead to ensure deadlines are met.
- An ability to multi-task efficiently under pressure and maintain high level of attention to detail.
- Good communication and team working skills and be enthusiastic, flexible, self-motivated and highly organised.
- A professional, trustworthy and approachable attitude.
- A strong sense of appropriate ethical practice.