Senior Planning Consultant; Minerals and Waste (Fixed term 12 months)
A career defining opportunity for an ambitious planning professional looking to build their reputation and portfolio of planning experience in a successful, rapidly growing consultancy based in the North West and Midlands.
About the role
As our Senior Planning Consultant in the minerals and waste team, you will part be involved in preparing planning policy and providing expert advice on minerals and waste planning applications, supporting work on community engagement and undertaking sustainability appraisal as well as generating new business and managing of core projects. You will also be accountable for:
- Supporting the Group leader through taking responsibility for managing individual projects and ensuring they are delivered to a high standard and within agreed timescale and budget.
- Managing individual projects associated with the preparation of complex planning policy documents, including policy development, evidence gathering and research, report, technical waste data analysis, sustainability appraisal and consultation.
- Providing expert advice and technical understanding on complex planning/development management applications and consultations.
- Representing clients as an expert witness on planning appeals and Examinations in to the soundness of plans
- Contributing to service improvements to achieve cost efficiency and effectiveness whilst project managing your work to ensure client KPIs are met/exceeded in terms of timeliness and quality of output, adding value wherever possible.
- Contributing to the delivery and improvement of business management systems, procedures and processes.
- Providing support and guidance to peers and more junior staff to distribute knowledge and ensure contemporary planning issues and legislation are cascaded and understood.
- Supporting the growth of the team by making a positive contribution to business development, securing repeat work and applying a commercial lens to all work undertaken and behaviours;
What you will do
As a Senior Planner you will:
- Be concise and possess the ability to communicate at all levels, be well organised and efficient, have a positive attitude, be proactive and solve problems to produce well balanced outcomes.
- Provide consistently high professional advice on planning matters to clients, members of the public, Councillors and others as necessary.
- Contribute to stakeholder engagement and analysis of consultation results in line current regulations
- Develop planning policy relating to clients' needs on minerals and waste matters, ensuring development is based on robust and sound evidence which will stand up to scrutiny at examination and is in line with current national and European legislation.
- Be involved in service improvements and business operations to ensure resilience competitive edge, efficiency and effectiveness going forward.
- Support your peers and mentor more junior staff to ensure project and team targets are met and knowledge and expertise is shared whilst assisting to secure new and repeat work in the way you deliver projects.
Your experience will include:
Membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute.
High level of ability to prioritise and manage a workload whilst working flexibly to meet both the commercial and contractual needs of the business.
Demonstrable experience of working as a senior planning officer or consultant in the public/private sector.
A high level of knowledge and understanding and application of current and emerging planning legislation.
Being ambitious to enhance the reputation of the Minerals and Waste Planning service for innovation, quality and timeliness of delivery
All of this, in a professional but fun environment