Job Specification - Senior / Principal Engineer
Principal Purpose: Technical lead for: feasibility studies, due diligence, design and technical advisory roles on solar PV projects in UK, Europe and globally. Assist with business development and client management in UK and Europe. Ideally, technical expertise in battery energy storage.
1.Qualification and Experience
- Minimum Qualifications
Degree in Engineering or a related subject, with a professional qualification such as Chartered Engineer. Ideally, in addition, an MSc or equivalent in Renewable Energy, or related subject. Proven interest in working in the renewables sector long-term.
Full driving licence.
Required to have experience in most of the following areas:
- Excellent level of general technical knowledge on the design, operation and maintenance of solar PV assets in the UK and Europe (and ideally globally);
- Performance forecasts of new assets and reviews of existing assets;
- Construction of solar PV assets;
- Holding responsibility for project delivery to time, quality and budget;
- Identifying and understating customer needs and supporting the development of new business.
Highly desirable to have experience in some of the following areas:
- Battery Energy storage: design (including planning/consents), construction, operation, and maintenance of batteries and ancillary plant, and business plan development;
- PV modelling software such as PVSyst;
- Detailed design of solar PV and ancillary electrical systems;
- Applicable UK standards and legislation including Ofgem accreditation process;
- Experience of and interest in working on global projects (outside Europe);
- Project finance and contracts.
- English as a first language / completely fluent speaker/writer.
- Highly numerate and well developed MS Excel skills.
- Well-developed report writing skills, using MS Word.
- Experience of project and people/contract management activities.
- Initiative, self-reliance, and drive to deliver results.
- Prioritising, planning, and organising own workload.
- Accountability, including level of self-motivation and ambition.
- Understanding client's needs, and business development experience.
- Communication and team-working skills and sharing / using best practice information.
- Influencing others, including communication skills and self-confidence in general.
- Willingness to be adaptable, work flexibly - including travel throughout UK/Europe and potentially globally.
- Technical lead for solar PV advisory work, which may include due diligence reports, site inspections, construction monitoring, yield assessments, performance reviews and site selection/feasibility. Ideally, capability to do similar for battery storage projects.
- Prepare technical and non-technical reports to a high standard to budget.
- Proactively contribute to various marketing and tender initiatives.
- Proactively contribute to managing existing key clients and building new clients.
- Work effectively on several projects concurrently.
- Work alongside other professionals in multi-disciplinary teams.