Our client is a specialist energy consultancy providing technical, strategic, planning and environmental advice to companies and organisations operating within the energy sector.
With a strong existing workload and vast client base, they are looking to build on their excellent reputation and add to our experience in the renewables, smart grids and transmission & distribution sectors and need a Regulatory Consultant to support their work with regulators, investors and utilities.
A Principal or Senior Consultant should be experienced in their field and have practical experience from energy projects. They should also be capable of taking a leading role within the team and providing mentoring and development support where required.
It is critical, at this level, that the candidate has an excellent client focus and is able to interpret client requirements and manage and deliver sometimes difficult or complex projects to their satisfaction. This would include engaging proactively with clients to deliver new business opportunities as well as maintaining current relationships, undertaking and managing project work, writing and reviewing documents and reports and managing, supporting and guiding other team members.
- Deliver projects to a high level of technical competency based on previous experience. It is expected that at this level they would be experienced and capable of acting autonomously.
- Manage large multi-disciplinary projects, often as part of a consortium of consultant, communicating with clients as required.
- The ability to work independently is expected, whilst discussing projects openly to share lessons learnt and expert knowledge or experience.
- Define work scopes for other consultants to undertake project work on the projects they are managing.
- Ensure all work is reviewed at appropriate stages, peer reviewing others work to ensure consistency, accuracy and that it meets client's expectations, authorising the release of deliverables.
- Support other members of the team as required providing one-to-one training in aspects they have experience in.
- Identify risks within their projects, communicating regularly with the rest of the project team and elevating any issues to Project Director or Commercial Director if support is required.
- Manage the preparation of large proposals, including commercial aspects, involving others as required.
- Manage their own time and deliver multiple or large complex projects on time/budget, managing client expectations and scope changes as required.
- Communicate their availability and their project requirements to the resource manager and aim to keep their chargeability at a high level.
- Consider their impact on health and safety, quality and environment.
- Excellent Undergraduate or Post Graduate degree and experience in engineering/maths/science with good problem solving skills
- Modelling experience using Excel or similar (for example: use of system cost modelling, economic modelling or project financial modelling for Due Diligence)
- Experience in the electricity/energy sector with ideally policy development, system operation or transactional knowledge including an appreciation of the challenges facing network operators both in the UK and internationally
- Excellent attention to detail and very clear and concise written communication skills
- Comfortable interpreting and understanding initially unfamiliar concepts. With an ability to understand and explain abstract concepts in a clear way to technical and non-technical audiences
- Willingness to learn power systems analysis skills