Senior Structural Engineer – Offshore Wind
Our client is a leading developer and operator of renewable energy projects.
This role offers the opportunity to work on offshore windfarm projects from site selection through construction and into operational phases.
The role will involve carrying out design work for a variety of technically challenging problems. In addition the Job holder will undertake design and package management roles working with clients, consultants, contractors and turbine suppliers. This role may also include the supervision and checking the work of others.
- The role requires working as part of a dedicated technical team within the wider Offshore business unit, reporting to the Lead Structural Engineer and Project Managers as required
- The role may include the direction and checking of the work of others
- This role requires working with a range of internal and external stakeholders such as clients, contractors, specialist consultants, wind turbine suppliers & verification / certification bodies
- The work may be related to any phase of a project:
- Concept designs to support site selection
- Front End Engineering Designs to support project definition and procurement
- Provision of engineering design support during project development, design, construction and operational phases
- Client’s engineer / package manager for offshore foundation design, supply & installation.
- Undertaking technical reviews of design basis, concept through to detailed design work, design risk assessments, fabrication, transportation and installation strategies
- Perform and/or manage design studies of wind turbine foundations, covering piles, jackets, gravity bases & suction buckets, offshore substation foundations and topsides
- Development of technical inputs to contract documents, e.g. functional / technical specifications and scopes of work for design, supply, installation and certification
- Managing structure certification with an Independent Verification Body
- Managing the design interface between foundation and the wind turbine supplier including loading and structural characteristics.
- Other structural design & assessment work associated with new business areas
- Contribute to and lead design reviews
- Produce Design Risk Assessments
- Produce and check design reports and calculations
- Produce, manage and check Design Plans
- Interpreting the output of structural analyses, define and perform verification checks
- Represent the company via presentations at seminars/conferences from time to time, as part of ongoing business development
- Knowledge of relevant offshore structural design codes and standards
- Specialist knowledge of structural subjects such as corrosion, welding, fatigue, bolting, grouting, etc.
- Knowledge of structural dynamics
- Knowledge of hydrodynamics and marine structure design in steel and concrete
- Knowledge of Construction Design Management (CDM) regulations
- Understanding of metocean processes and of their impact on design
- Ability to work as client, consultant and contractor depending on specific project and role
- Excellent communication skills including report writing and presentation and the ability to communicate technical issues effectively with clients, contractors and consultants
- Ability to apply technical skills to problems in other areas, such as onshore, civil, coastal, etc.
- Ability to manage own workload and meet demanding timescales on a number of potentially simultaneous projects
- Ability to work as a member of a team and to react positively to the varying challenges of construction projects
- Current UK Driving Licence
- Experience working in client facing roles (e.g. as client’s engineer, package manager, design manager)
- Experienced in the design of primary and secondary elements of offshore structures
- Experience working to design codes and standards
- Experience working with structural certification
- Management of external contractors, consultants and suppliers
- Experience of the offshore wind sector
- Experience of wind turbine load iteration procedures (desirable)
- Offshore working experience (desirable)
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering discipline or equivalent
- Offshore Engineering
- Offshore Construction
- Offshore Development