Site Chemist (Transfer) - North West England - Hazardous Waste
Summary of Job
The safe running of the transfer station, managing the intakes and reception with a high degree of attention to safety, compliance, housekeeping, throughput and productivity.
To assist the senior site chemist (Transfer) in the management of the operational process, maintaining and improve safety, environmental and quality standards.
Prioritisation to achieve agreed production targets and meeting customer service requirements. Providing technical advice as required to the plant and wider business.
To ensure the operational activity meets the business growth in transfer station activity with a focus on transfer;
- Up to 7+ loads per day of packaged waste
- Loads are received, sorted and repacked as required.
- Labels are accurate, clearly displayed. Old markings are removed.
Reporting to: Senior Site Chemist (Transfer)
- Ensure that all activities within the operational area are carried out in a safe manner in line with the Company Safety Policy and Legislative requirements.
- Ensure that appropriate attention to satisfy this requirement and all activities are in line with company procedures.
- Planning and Development
- In consultation with the senior site chemist, prioritise in line with the production forecasts, customer and legislative requirements.
- Ensure that outgoing loads are prepared on receipt and information is relayed to the technical team to allow fast uplift/removal
- Ensure stock is transferred quickly; Reception, preparation and outgoing loads
- A focus on safety, compliance (labelling, storage, packaging) and housekeeping
- Incoming Loads;
- Incoming loads are correctly labelled
- Incoming loads are packaged correctly for there final disposal/recovery route; repackaging/sorting or bulking as necessary. Repacking where undertaken is reported as a non conformance to ensure the commercial team can address with the supplier (through non-conformance)
- All activity is undertaken within our company procedures, any variation requires approval from the Plant Manager and the QHSE Manager
- Liaison with necessary personnel and provide technical advice
- Authorise all paperwork in line with customer and legislative requirements.
- Ensure all transfers/outgoing loads are safe for transport;
- Labels are correct
- Packaging is appropriate (e.g. UN approved)
- Pallets are sound and banding/stretch wrapped as required
- Pallets are loaded safely for road transport
- Ensure that the Company's training and development is achieved for operational staff.
- Encourage employee involvement in decision making process.
- Must be educated to degree level in an chemistry or related discipline
- High levels of numeracy, literacy and experience with computer based word processing and spreadsheet programmes
- Good communication and team building skills
- Effective planning skills
- Knowledge of Health and Safety Legislation
- Valid driving licence
· Knowledge of relevant Environmental Legislation and the Permit conditions at Kirkby