Our client is a specialist Energy and Environment Consultancy. They are looking to recruit a Software Developer to join one part of the business which focuses on the Energy sector; providing technical, strategic, planning and environmental advise to companies operating within this sector.
The company has a small dedicated software team which is based at the Manchester office. Due to recent and sustained growth, future opportunities and to ensure business integrity, my client is seeking to appoint a software developer to the team. The successful candidate will be part of a small team working in this area but would be supported by other power systems engineers, project managers and admin staff.
With strong existing opportunities and client base, my client is keen to build on their current excellent reputation and, further add to their experience in the renewables, transport, smart grids and transmission & distribution sectors. The software developer will need to develop and maintain the company power analysis products.
The main role is the development and maintenance of a cross-platform mixed language code base, supporting multiple tools and commercial products in the fields of studying electrical power systems.
In addition to software skills, as this role will be as part of a small team that has to deliver projects to time and budget and develop products to meet client needs, it is critical that the candidate has an excellent client focus and is able to interpret client requirements and manage and deliver sometimes difficult or complex projects to their satisfaction. This would include engaging proactively with clients to deliver new business opportunities as well as maintaining current relationships, undertaking and managing project work, writing and reviewing documents and reports and managing, supporting and guiding other team members.
- Deliver projects to a high level of technical competency based on previous experience.
- Manage their own time and deliver multiple or large complex projects on time/budget, managing client expectations and scope changes as required.
- Work as part of a larger team, communicating with clients and other consultants / developers as required.
- The ability to work independently is expected, whilst discussing projects openly to share lessons learnt and expert knowledge or experience.
- Define work scopes for others to undertake work on the projects they are managing.
- Ensure all work is reviewed at appropriate stages to ensure quality and consistency.
- Identify risks within their projects, communicating regularly with the rest of the project team and elevating any issues to Project Director or Commercial Director if support is required.
- Input into the specialist aspects of large proposals, including input on pricing, involving others as required.
- Communicate their availability and their project requirements to the resource manager and aim to keep their utilisation at a high level.
- Consider their impact on health and safety, quality and environment.
- C++ - This is the main language used in all our applications. A deep understanding of object-oriented programming techniques and the use of the standard library is required.
- Linux – Our web-based products and recent server based applications are all implemented on Linux. Experience of software development, administration and general use of Linux systems is required.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Comfortable interpreting and understanding initially unfamiliar concepts.
- An ability to understand and explain abstract concepts in a clear way to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Qt – A good working knowledge of this cross-platform C++ application framework.
- Fortran – This is the programming language that most of our core engineering analysis libraries are written in.
- Python – This scripting language is used to provide user programming features.
- OpenGL – This is used for high speed graphics for large network diagram modelling.
- HTML5 and CSS – The core languages used in our web-based products.
- SQL - MySQL and SQLite variants. Databases are increasingly at the heart of systems we are developing.
- Wix toolset or similar tools (Installshield etc.) that are used for building Windows installer packages.
- Experience in the electricity/energy sector including an appreciation of the challenges facing network operators both in the UK or internationally.