|Job Title:||Technical Director - Geotechnics|
|Location:||UK - England - South East England, London|
|Contact Name:||Tom Herbert|
|Job Published:||5 months ago|
We require geotechnical engineers with around 20 years or more experience and who are highly experienced in leading teams undertaking geotechnical studies and design for complex new build transportation infrastructure, and in particular in the position of lead geotechnical designer for design & build contracts. Experience in new build rail projects including high speed rail would be advantageous.
Our teams support internal and external clients on a wide variety of projects in many sectors, but predominantly in rail, road, nuclear and property. In particular our teams work closely with the tunnelling team on both regional projects and national infrastructure projects such as Crossrail.
Nationally our Ground Engineering team comprises some 175 staff and provides one-stop access to services ranging from project management, feasibility studies, detailed design, contract administration and construction supervision for geotechnical works. We work for leading UK clients including Highways England, Network Rail, HCA, Thames Water, as well as leading contractors and developers and for overseas clients. We have an impressive portfolio of projects, working on a range of major infrastructure projects including Crossrail, Thames Tideway, HS2, Stockholm Bypass, Mersey Gateway, Northern Hub and Hinkley Point C nuclear power station.
The role will involve leading a geotechnical design team to deliver services to a high level of technical quality and to programme and budget. The individual will work closely with our clients’ team and must have strong behavioural competencies with respect to client care, collaborative working, responsibility and independent decision making. The role will include preparation of fee proposals for new work elements and projects.
- Extensive geotechnical design experience.
- Possess strong problem solving and inter-personal skills.
- Proven track record in leadership of design teams and management of design delivery and ground related risks in a design and build environment.
- Demonstrates high level of accountability and independent decision making.
- Works closely and collaboratively with colleagues, client and delivery partners.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; the ability to write clear and concise technical reports is essential.
- Strong analytical capabilities and proficient in the use of relevant design software. Experience in numerical modelling using Plaxis and similar software would be advantageous.
- Experienced in design of geotechnical works including slopes, foundations, retaining structures, strengthened earthworks, track bed and road pavement foundations, and ground improvement.
- In depth knowledge of a wide variety of UK ground conditions but particularly those of Central England.
- Experience of geotechnical studies and design for tunnels in soils and weak rocks.
- In depth knowledge and experience of relevant Eurocodes and UK standards and specifications, in particular those of Network Rail and Highways England.
- Willing to travel to other offices and sites within the UK and to occasionally undertake short assignments overseas.
- Valid UK driving licence is essential.