Transport Assessment Manager (Central)
Reporting to: Senior Transport Assessment Manager
Location: Birmingham (with travel along the route and to and from London)
Manage the traffic and transport assessment work developed for the hybrid Bill in accordance with organisational, sponsor and parliamentary requirements. To support the full and efficient integration of traffic and transport tasks across engineering (design and construction) and environmental impact assessment.
This role supports the Senior Transport Assessment Manager as the client lead for traffic and transport products developed by the consultants and subsequently defended through Parliament. This role provides support on route-wide transport matters in Scheme Design Working Groups. You are responsible for ensuring the client requirements are met in the development of the EIA and hybrid Bill scheme and be responsible for ensuring that issues/ risks are escalated to the Senior Transport Assessment Manager
JOB TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Manage the traffic and transport assessment requirements (including the finalisation of the consultant's traffic and transport assessment scope and methodology) and deliverables, working in close association with the Technical Directorate.
- Ensure all client requirements are met for the hybrid Bill and the Environmental Impact Assessment Report.
- As part of the Central Environment Team, provide Area Team advice for solutions to address local traffic and transport constraints and issues and ensure that local transport arrangements are embedded as an integral part of the project scheme and design in accordance with the Sustainability Policy and Sustainability Approach Document.
- Work collaboratively with other technical specialists including engineers, spatial planners, construction experts and environmental and sustainability specialists to achieve high quality integrated designs and develop appropriate and cost balanced mitigation strategies and solutions. ensure traffic and transport work contributes efficiently and effectively (to minimise duplication or conflicts) to dependent work streams, including:
- - scheme and design development of local transport arrangements;
- - movement of materials and construction strategy;
- - development of the Transport Assessment;
- - input of the transport topic components of the environmental assessment; and
- - providing inputs to related environmental topics (notably Air Quality, Sound and Vibration, Community and Waste).
- Working closely with the Technical Directorate, ensure requirements for consultants undertaking the traffic and transport assessment are developed in a timely manner, with support from the Client and Project Integration team.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor or Master's degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline.
- Membership of a relevant professional organisation (including Transport Planning Professional (TPP)) or working towards.
- Track record of working as a transport specialist in a management capacity on transport assessments for complex/major infrastructure projects.
- Proven ability to manage consultants and to work across multidisciplinary teams overseeing the technical output of consultants and expert advisors.
- Understanding of WebTAG, transport assessment guidance and travel planning.
- Proficient in transport planning, analysis and assessment techniques, including an understanding of the development and application of transport planning modelling and assessment tools.
- Strong numeracy, written and verbal communication skills and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss traffic and transport issues to a range of stakeholders.
- Strong IT skills and proven working ability to use Office based software, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, coupled with an aptitude towards learning and utilising new software in the office environment (training is provided in the use of the internal document management systems).
- A good understanding of GIS, SharePoint and eB is also desirable.
- Experience of preparing/ reviewing material for and attending public consultations is desirable.
- Experience of working under extremely tight deadlines and in a constantly changing project environment.