Solar PV Electrical Design Engineer
Location: Northamptonshire (remote working can be discussed)
Flexible hours or contract arrangements are available to the right candidate.
The Electrical Design Engineer will undertake a range of engineering activities, depending on our clients' needs. This will include producing system designs and drawings, composing professional advice and undertaking surveys.
Your work will be extremely varied, spanning multiple disciplines working to support diverse clients with their sustainable energy projects; simply put, your role will be to apply your professional engineering skills to whichever challenges arise.
You will take both project lead, working directly with clients, and supporting roles within the team, as each project demands.
You will be required to gain, maintain and continuously improve a working knowledge of all aspects of energy park design. Detailed design projects will span multiple disciplines, including masterplanning, equipment selection, 1500V DC power wiring, HV and LV AC circuits, SCADA and networking systems, earthing, protection, auxiliary supplies & services and others. You will be producing calculations, creating designs and drawings, performing simulations, and undertaking surveys; you will also need the capability, experience and confidence to review and challenge designs by others.
You must be proficient with MS Office and AutoCAD packages, and you will have fluent written and oral communication skills in English. You will have degree-level qualifications in a relevant discipline and be able to demonstrate a theoretical and practical understanding of electrical system design and installation with at least 5 years' industrial design experience in related fields including installations in the UK and possibly overseas.
Your job will involve regularly using specialist CAD packages including PVSyst, Amtech ProDesign and others; in-house training will be available but prior knowledge will be a distinct advantage.
- Designing renewable energy systems, primarily PV and battery energy storage, in accordance with relevant standards
- Producing detailed drawings and schedules
- Grid connection studies and other liaison with DNOs
- Feasibility and similar studies
- Producing CAD models and performance simulations
- Creating specifications and calculating equipment / cable specifications
- Site and office meetings
- Surveying prospective sites, existing installations and in-progress construction work
- Providing ad-hoc technical support to clients, including engineering analysis
- Writing engineering reports and critical studies
- Peer review of internal and external technical documents, drawings and calculations
- Managing client's tenders and installation projects, or parts thereof
- Seeking, submitting and managing sales proposals to clients
- The job is client-facing so candidates must have clear communication skills
- All engineers are responsible for their continuous professional development, which we will actively support
- Engineers and Senior Engineers may supervise and/or manage junior engineering staff
- At least 5 years' experience working in electrical systems design, to UK standards
- Familiarity with the theory of PV, renewable energy and energy storage
- Experience in the design and implementation of industrial electrical distribution systems
- Capable of autonomously solving engineering problems
- Demonstrably familiar with system design and project management
- Demonstrably capable of carrying out calculations from theory
- Fluent in Microsoft Office including producing engineering calculations in Excel and reports in Word
- Competency with Autodesk AutoCAD and other modelling and design tools
- Eligibility for membership of an accredited engineering institution (e.g. IET, IMechE, EI)
- Degree-level (or higher qualifications) in engineering-related subjects
- Fluent oral and written English in a technical context
- Full driving licence