Junior Aquatic Ecologist
London, UK / Johannesburg, South Africa / Gaborone, Botswana / Dar es Salaam, Tanzania / Bamako, Mali / St Helier, Jersey (Hybrid Working)
Are you a Junior Aquatic Ecologist looking for a new opportunity working on international projects? Our client is looking for someone who is dynamic, organised and detail-oriented to provide ecological interpretation of the functionality of aquatic ecosystems and related services to their clients.
Our client is passionate about what they do and are extremely fortunate to be able to make a difference in the lives of their colleagues, their clients, the communities they work in and the environment.
You'll be expected to.
- Participate in survey design, proposal scoping and costing, and business development and marketing activities.
- Execute field work according to accepted Eco Classification Methodologies (incl. MIRAI and FRAI), as well as other international best-practice standards.
- Conduct aquatic biomonitoring studies and support the baseline aquatic biodiversity assessments to inform impact assessments, management and/or monitoring plans.
- Working in close collaboration with specialists from other disciplines.
- Networking and growing strong relationships with Clients and other partners in the market.
You will have skills, knowledge and experience in.
- Two or more years in a similar role within a consultancy.
- Good foundational knowledge of aquatic ecology.
- Able to identify both aquatic macroinvertebrates and/or fish species in the field.
- Basic understanding and practical experience with environmental legislation and National Water Act.
- Great report writing skills and ability describe the issues and propose solutions.
- Able to work with a 20 kg fish shocker (Smith-Root/ Halltech) in flowing systems.
- Must be a strong swimmer.
- Strong interpersonal skills (build rapport, trustworthy, reliable, etc.).
- Superior organisation skills, excellent communication skills, and good time management skills.
- Willing to travel locally and internationally, including the rest of Africa.
- BSc Hons / MSc degree in Aquatic Health or similar.
- Professional Registration with SACNASP or other professional body.
- SASS accredited
- Valid Driver's License / 4x4 Advanced Driving Certificate would be advantageous.
Why this role?
The client we are working with is committed to making a difference in both their environment and their business. They are a rapidly growing organisation and encourage both formal and informal professional development. Their organisation is very diverse with people from all around the world and they don't only encourage diversity, they embrace it. With a rewards and benefits package that is structured to ensure that their employees and their families are well looked after, this is a brilliant organisation to make your next career move!
Get in touch today by clicking the apply button above or send an email to Thomas at: firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more or to arrange a confidential chat.
Allen & York - delivering Sustainable Recruitment Solutions since 1993.